How to paint STEM ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dizzdarevic

lula-volana-zoom-254-110mm-keindl-sport_551d4a39c561e_750x515r.jpg
Hello. I always wanted to paint stem in metallic purple. It's aluminium stem and color is like this from picture (black chrome). I watched few clips how to remove color from aluminium and paint it in metallic, but I still don't want to do it, because i'm not sure how it's gonna look like. Every advice will help me! Thanks !

Outlaw Hobbs

It will be much more difficult and expensive than you think owing to all the kit and materials you'll have to buy and the end result will look awful and not be very hard wearing. Why not arrange to send it to these guys who just might do it for free!
https://www.metalfinishingsltd.co.uk/news/hobbyist-student-offer/

gbb

Legendary Member
Getting it done and looking as good as a factory finish is going to be difficult. I'd probably key the surface with fine Emery or sandpaper, use an etching primer, apply the colour coat then a clear coat to protect it. How it would look is anyones guess though.
It might be cheaper to buy an anodized stem, I'm guessing the ones you've seen to give you the idea are actually anodized.

figbat

Slippery scientist
If it is anodised then you can get it back to bare metal (very carefully) using caustic soda. You could then have a go at home anodising whatever colour you want.

Or find a place to anodise it. Or buy a new one.

Reactions: C R

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Personally I'd just leave it alone; sounds like a lot of hassle to replace a superior finish just on (IMO dubious!) aesthetic grounds..

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Hope do a nice purple anodized stem.:okay:

Then you could sell your old one to offset the cost and it would probably end up being cheaper than painting, certainly quicker and better looking.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom