How to pedal with clipless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Most of this has been covered now, but incase you're short of a final £0.02, here's my contribution:

When I started to ride clipped in, I found I could start the power stroke earlier (pushing across the top of the pedal) and finish it later (pulling backward at the bottom). As both feet did this (even if only at 5% power) the dead spot when the cranks are parallel to my legs was removed. Less stomp left, stomp right. More push/pass/push/pass

As time has gone on, the power transition from left to right pedal and back has got neater and more fluid. What was a pole became a triangle, became a square, became a circle.

I only really spotted how much push I give across the top of the circle when I failed to clip in properly a few weeks back. Foot went rocketing off the pedal in a most unexpected direction.

Worth saying I'm on a 'bent, so am 90 degrees off the normal riding position. YMMV

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I should point out that it's perfectly possible to pedal in circles using flat pedals:evil:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
MacB said:
I should point out that it's perfectly possible to pedal in circles using flat pedals:evil:

True enough, but trickier on a 'bent, as the push across what would be the 'top' of the pedal stroke occurs when the you have no weight on the pedals. Actually, I never have weight on the pedals, thinking about it.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
arallsopp said:
True enough, but trickier on a 'bent, as the push across what would be the 'top' of the pedal stroke occurs when the you have no weight on the pedals. Actually, I never have weight on the pedals, thinking about it.

apologies, I wasn't referring to the riders of 'funky' machines:biggrin:

OP
OP
S

sswats

Lot of advice to digest there guys.
Appreciate the help. I think its already helped. On my cycle to work this morning I tried pedalling in circles and performing scraping actions and i think its improved.
What i also found helpful was some advice on youtbe where it said to keep you foot at the same angle, preferably horizontal, throughout the circle. that seemed to help me.

I really should have asked for advice a while ago before I picked up the bad habits.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
mickle said:
The limit to ones power output is determined by the bodies ability to process oxygen so pulling up on the pedals, even if it were possible to do it for any length of time, wont make you go any faster, there's no such thing as free energy. As as had been said above, making the effort to pedal fluidly 'in circles' will make you go faster when compared to the heavy footed push-push treadle style adopted by many bicycle riders. The most that one can reasonably be expected to achieve by trying to lift the back foot is reduce the requirement of the other leg to push it up the stroke. Most people use the down stroke of one leg to lift the other leg up the back stroke.

Many years ago i saw an article that said to try and pedal in smaller circles ,if that makes any sense?

Top Bottom