How to plan a cycle route for fundraiser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

I want to cycle from London to Oxford as part of a fundraiser- does anyone have any tips on how to plan the route and is there any good app for it?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I use mapmyride, although there's others such as ridewithgps. There's probably others who've done similar routes.

A quick Google search throws this up which is the whole route done for you: https://cycle.travel/route/thames_valley

CXRAndy

Guru
I tend to first as a guide just use Google maps, its super quick. Then I use Strava route builder (probably pay now) followed by komoot, ridegps,

This took 15 seconds to get a guide to potential routes https://goo.gl/maps/iJipaEU3zSS2NyRM6

reverse the route an another option is added https://goo.gl/maps/QHz7S8bZGMuz7fPCA

some of the routes have 1600-1800ft of ascent over the whole distance. A more detailed look of each route will reveal any steep hills to be aware of.

Here is a quick Strava route I knocked up. Strava uses common used routes other cyclists have used in the past to build a profile. I've uploaded a screenshot and the route for you to review
Oxford to London.png

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Oxford to London.gpx
    168.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Komoot is a really good app for planning routes, just put in the start point, the finish point hit find route, then you can zoom in the map, fine tune it for what you need, save it, then upload it to your method of navigation.

Just done a quick komoot round here. It planned the ride to go on the fast road bridge over the river and ignored the two cycle bridges over it. So it's not as good as local knowledge.

I'm using the Garmin connect route mostly and that uses popular Cycling roads so you won't go too far wrong.
That and then Google Street view any bits you're unsure of.

Will you recce the route before the event ?

DRM

Guru
Just done a quick komoot round here. It planned the ride to go on the fast road bridge over the river and ignored the two cycle bridges over it. So it's not as good as local knowledge.

I'm using the Garmin connect route mostly and that uses popular Cycling roads so you won't go too far wrong.

But you can edit the route using local knowledge by zooming into the map and changing a dodgy bit for one that you know is ok

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Firstly depends on whether planning just for yourself or for a group of you.

But generally decide what type of roads you’d like to cycle on, how hilly you want it to be (are the Chilterns an option), do you wish to include cycle tracks or disused railways, how often you’d like to stop to get food and drink? Then get looking at a map either online or a paper version.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Firstly depends on whether planning just for yourself or for a group of you.

But generally decide what type of roads you’d like to cycle on, how hilly you want it to be (are the Chilterns an option), do you wish to include cycle tracks or disused railways, how often you’d like to stop to get food and drink? Then get looking at a map either online or a paper version.
It's for me only. I want as flat as possible route, that's the main thing for me-avoiding hilly areas. I have no knowledge of the local geography, so I'll be 100% relying on the map. So how do I go about making sure my route is as flat as possible?

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

No I will be doing the route for the first time on the day. I also have no idea about the local geography. Im not sure if to use Lamont or strava?

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

I tend to first as a guide just use Google maps, its super quick. Then I use Strava route builder (probably pay now) followed by komoot, ridegps,

This took 15 seconds to get a guide to potential routes https://goo.gl/maps/iJipaEU3zSS2NyRM6

reverse the route an another option is added https://goo.gl/maps/QHz7S8bZGMuz7fPCA

some of the routes have 1600-1800ft of ascent over the whole distance. A more detailed look of each route will reveal any steep hills to be aware of.

Here is a quick Strava route I knocked up. Strava uses common used routes other cyclists have used in the past to build a profile. I've uploaded a screenshot and the route for you to review View attachment 540422 View attachment 540422

GPX viewer
Think it would probably better to avoid google maps for such a long ride and the fact I don't know the geography. Do you think Strava or Kamoot is better? I would like a more flat route.

vickster

Legendary Member
London to Cambridge is perhaps flatter than London to Oxford, no Chilterns to traverse, albeit a bit further. Although if it’s meant to be a challenge for charity, a few hills should be included ;)

How are you getting back, if by train, I don’t know if GWR have bike restrictions, or need to pre book? The trains from Cambridge into KGX or Liverpool street you don’t need to (cheaper too with a network card)

DRM

Guru
On Komoot, right side of map, below the plus/minus symbols there's an icon that looks like sheets of paper, click on that, then click on open cycle maps, these show the contour lines, the closer together they are, the steeper the terrain :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
Think it would probably better to avoid google maps for such a long ride and the fact I don't know the geography. Do you think Strava or Kamoot is better? I would like a more flat route.

You can also use OS maps, they have contour lines, so you can see where the lines group tighter indicating a gradient change. If you're happier to go a bit further, tell me your start point and finish and Ill look using Strava. You can pull/ drag the route around areas you dont want to ride. I presume a quiet lanes and minor B route?

Garmin maps shows the profile of the route as you plan it. I'd you hit a steep hill then you can delete that bit and look for a way round.

Top Bottom