How to procede?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I went out for a ride today (weather was lovely, as well as the new wheels!).

However, A HGV driver did a dangerous overtake. They overtook around a corner, and a car was coming the other way, so they just pulled back into the lane, squeezing my into the gutter with about 1ft, maybe a bit more space.
If I had of came off, there was a very real chance of me being crushed to death by his wheels.

I wouldn't have expected a "professional" driver to attempt to overtake anyone on a blind corner.

Just so I don't forget (and to name and shame), his registration was:
NJ58 LBE

I didn't get his company name, is it worth reporting it to the police?

PpPete

Legendary Member
No guarantees the plod will do anything but if you feel strongly enough about the danger of the manoeuvre to record the registration number then YES!

Midnight

I tried to report a bus driver once who undertook me on a right-hand bend, but local police would only accept a complaint if it was verified by two independant witnesses.

Still, might be worth a try, Good luck.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
porkypete said:
No guarantees the plod will do anything but if you feel strongly enough about the danger of the manoeuvre to record the registration number then YES!

+1

Midnight said:
I tried to report a bus driver once who undertook me on a right-hand bend, but local police would only accept a complaint if it was verified by two independant witnesses.

Still, might be worth a try, Good luck.

It is not really that you expect that they will do much more than "have a word" - but if at least if is reported there is a good chance that it will be recorded - more chance that the next time they will do something

We accept a lot of very bad driving - just because our perception is that nothing will be done -no harm in being a Don Quixote

02GF74

Über Member
report it to the police. they will ofcrouse do nothing but at least you'll feel you have doen something.

i'd like to think that if the driver has been reported before, maybe the police will act but I doubt it - they are too busy eating donuts and manning speed cameras, not really interested in near misses

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'd endorse the above - all such incidents should be reported. The chances of any single one being acted on are diddly, give or take, but cumulatively they can have an effect. Each of us has a duty to all of us.

Often the most effective way of dealing with these incidents if it is a commercial driver is to contact the drivers employer -I know this from experience having taken calls from people who think they have been WMVised - often there is nothing substantial either way and the driver in question becomes very defensive - but they do take note and it does make them much more careful - even just making the driver fill out an incident report has some effect

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
It would be interesting to know how many of you guys telling Sam to report this to police have actually done this yourselves and if so did any good come out of it?

Personally I wouldnt bother Sam. Firstly without witnesses its your word against his secondly you arent going to make any real difference with all the crap drivers out there.

Top Bottom