How to remove a bottle cage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
I was in my local Aldi earlier today and spotted they were selling sets of goosed screw/bolt head removal bits for a few pounds!
There was one set out of its packaging in my Aldi so had a look at them as I have a couple, the others compared to those I have were huge and one smaller that any of them I would think be needed.

Big John

Guru
Screwfix do the removal drill bits but they're not a sure fire fix, by the way. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The ideal way is to get some sort of proper grip on the bolt OR drill it out and the rivnut' with it. Then you have the job of fitting a new rivnut ☹️

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Could try smacking in a slightly oversize torx bit and se if that grips enough to remove.

Would be careful taking this route as the frame will be thin-walled in this area; potentially especially problematic if it's a placcy frame as they don't like impact / point loading..

You might try:

- Soak it in release agent overnight
- Get a bit of heat on it (again, not if the frame's placcy!)
- Gently tap in a torx bit, subject to the above
- A reverse-helical extractor in the socket head, if you can find one that conveniently fits
- Drill and use the above deeper into the bolt shank; LH drill will probably help (all that's assuming you have room for the drill within the frame)
- If access allows cut a slot in the top with a cutting disc in a rotary tool

Good luck - stuff like this sucks!

presta

Guru
I was in my local Aldi earlier today

Our new Aldi store is due to open some time in 2023. Last year it was due to open some time in 2022, and the year before that, some time in 2021. They haven't broken ground yet, so it'll soon be due to open some time in 2024.

Top Bottom