How to responsibly dispose of old tins of paint...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I've got about 30 half-empty tins of paint at home, gloss, matt, primer the lot. All old and unusuable. Some made by companies long since gone bust. How can I chuck these away in a responsible type manner? I could put them in the scrap metal skip down at the local tip, but what about all the old paint inside?

what do you do? or have you got loads of old paint at home as well?

stevenb

I'm sure the local tip will dispose of them...even with paint inside. Just let them know your coming down beforehand.
I have a few to get rid of too so would be interested to know how you get on.
:idea:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Try your local County Council - they may have a scheme called Community Repaint or similar. In which case the scheme accepts tins that are at least one third full. I think they take paint, gloss, emulsion etc, but not varnish etc.

Or try your "recycling" information site on your County council' website.
You cannot put it in normal domestic waste, hand it in at the tip to one of the employees there. Hope this helps.

OOOOps just read that your paint is unusable. Take it to your tip, or ring them for advice.

Danny

Legendary Member
Maz said:
I've got about 30 half-empty tins of paint at home, gloss, matt, primer the lot. All old and unusuable. Some made by companies long since gone bust. How can I chuck these away in a responsible type manner? I could put them in the scrap metal skip down at the local tip, but what about all the old paint inside?

what do you do? or have you got loads of old paint at home as well?

I must have a quite a collection too :idea: York has a state of the art recycling centre, with different bins for practically everything. I'm planning a visit in the next few days so I'll check out what can be done with the old tins.

If any of is any good you could try advertising it via Freecycle

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
The larger recycling centres should have a container just for this.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Cheers, I'll have to contact the council. I've been down the tip and didn't see any paint place, nor on their website.
All the paint is unusable/decomposing/separating out, so can't pass it on to anyone else who might need it.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
stevenb said:
I'm sure the local tip will dispose of them...even with paint inside. Just let them know your coming down beforehand.
I have a few to get rid of too so would be interested to know how you get on.
:biggrin:

If you look on the county council website for Leicestershire or any other county, you should be able to find an "A to Z" of recycling. Leicestershire does have a system to divert paint from the waste stream to community groups to use the paint, as do, I think, lots of other County Councils.
If you just look under recycling, it may only give the household collections arrangements, keep looking and you should find the info you need regarding paint. If not, I will offer my services to find it for you, if you give me the name of your County. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity due to the fact that I am not well enough to do much else besides post on here, or watch tv. :idea:.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Speicher said:
If you look on the county council website for Leicestershire or any other county, you should be able to find an "A to Z" of recycling. Leicestershire does have a system to divert paint from the waste stream to community groups to use the paint, as do, I think, lots of other County Councils.
If you just look under recycling, it may only give the household collections arrangements, keep looking and you should find the info you need regarding paint. If not, I will offer my services to find it for you, if you give me the name of your County. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity due to the fact that I am not well enough to do much else besides post on here, or watch tv. :idea:.
What an offer!...someone to do the legwork for me! Just to help you out, here's the link to my local council's website. Cheers.
http://www.oadby-wigston.gov.uk/home/contents.htm

Abitrary

Make a sculpture out of the tins, then paint it with the paint, give the local rag a ring for a story, and they sell it on ebay on the strength of the newspaper story.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Maz said:
What an offer!...someone to do the legwork for me! Just to help you out, here's the link to my local council's website. Cheers.
http://www.oadby-wigston.gov.uk/home/contents.htm

Is that link above to your District Council? could not find the info there.:girl:
But Blaby District Council have got the Whetstone Household Waste and Recycling Facility, Enderby Road, Whetstone, Leics LE8 6JL. I expect you may have already known that. Otherwise, www.recyclenow.com seem to have improved their website. Choose 'P' :girl: and enter your postcode to get your nearest site for recycling paint. I hope this helps. Worcestershire County Council and the next nearest Councils, have websites on which it is easier to find these details. Please note that I said it was a once-in-a-lifetime offer!

Top Bottom