How to revive Goretex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Cheers DaveP.

In my confusion I bought both Tech Wash and TX Direct. Should I use the wash and then the TX Direct for best results or should I just use the Direct? I don't think the jacket is that dirty but I want the best finish possible.

Chris James

Über Member
Definitely use the Tech Wash. You may not even need to use the TX Direct. Your jacket might not look dirty but it can pick up all kinds of oils form your skin etc that aren't very visible but will undermine the DWR.

There is basically no point in using TX Direct on its own. It should always be applied to newly washed clothes.

DaveP

Tete,

TX Direct is for use with fabrics without wicking liners.

Tech Wash is used before proofing your items with the appropriate Nikwax proofer. You should be able to wash reproofed gear 6 to 8 times with Nikwax Tech Wash before it requires reproofing with the appropriate Nikwax proofer.

Hope the above helps!

Just to pick up a couple of points.

You should really always wash in Tech Wash before using TX-Direct. It's not just about getting the best result as you can "seal" dirt under the proofer if you don't clean first.

As for TX-Direct only being for wicking liners, it's almost certain you won't notice if you do proof your wicking liner.

Top Bottom