how to shorten a kmc z51 chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordjenks

i just replaced my chainset, cassette and chain, got a new kmc 51 chain and its just too loose when on the granny ring (only used on the turbo!), this is the chain that comes with the "missing link" as way of joining it so im wondering if i can just buy a chain splitter and take a couple of links out or....
i also thought that i may be able to agjust the 'b' screw my rear mech so it pulls it backwards.... any ideas??
much thanks... and how you finding this weather? i cycled to work on 23c' which was FUN!

lazyfatgit

get a chain splitter and remove a couple of links.

02GF74

Über Member
there is a method to determine the correct length of chain that relies on
a) size of the front chain rings
:smile: size of rear cassette
c) derailleur cage length

this is well documented on the web and has been asked more than once on hear - a quick search should find the answer.

then having read that, you can decide if the chain needs shortening.

if it does then, as you say, you would need to remove 2 links. a chain breaker is a sound investment - the best one I have is a shimano although the Tesco value one is not too bad.

When I replece my chains, I use the old one as the template and ensure hte new one is the same length - not had a problem yet but it does assume that whoever put the chain on originally knew what they were doing.

Top Bottom