How to slow down a fixie going fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just starting out, and taking it very slow down slopes after the thing tried to run away with me my first time out. I've read about how you can go (reasonably) fast downhill, albeit at high cadences - I was just wondering, how do you slow down and/or stop from that situation? I can slow down by sort-of back-pedalling at modest speeds - ie, the pedals are of course still going forwards, but I can exert some backward pressure as they go round - but I have to make a conscious effort to do it. And doing it at anything above a really pretty slow cadence seems to me impossible. Is it something you just start to get a feel for, by trying, and the more you do it the more instinctive it becomes?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I use a rim brake.

johnnyh

Veteran
just tell the first mate to chuck out the anchor!
anchoring-swivel.jpg

Mr Pig

Talking of fixies. I was in Go Outdoors yesterday and they had a single-speed 29'' MTB. What was odd was that there was a jockey wheel on a spring-loaded arm and the chain was longer than it needed to be. Why is that?

some mtb's don't have long enough drop outs to get the correct chain tension and so they fit a chain tensioner.

my mtb has been like this for a few years.

Mr Pig

Black Sheep said:
some mtb's don't have long enough drop outs to get the correct chain tension and so they fit a chain tensioner.

That'll be it. Single-speed on the cheap! ;0)

RedBike

If you just relax and let the bike turn your legs, rather than trying to pedal you will slow down gradually (assuming your not going down a steep hill)

God knows how you use the pedals as a brake at higher speeds. It's normally all I can do to keep my legs turning quick enough to keep up.

RedBike

Mr Pig said:
Talking of fixies. I was in Go Outdoors yesterday and they had a single-speed 29'' MTB. What was odd was that there was a jockey wheel on a spring-loaded arm and the chain was longer than it needed to be. Why is that?

It's so the bike can be easily converted to gears later.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll get used to it - nearly killed me for the first few days, as it's hilly. First ride involved a two mile descent - not wise.....

Slam the anchors on or shut your eyes...... two brakes help....

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Certainly an interesting experience first time down a hill :ohmy: . If I have to brake downhill I use both the rim brakes but to be honest tend not to bother and just go for it and relax the legs and spin spin spin. I have managed to get up to 36 mph on a 48 x 16 gearing so far :biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
4F, learn to spin!
38 on 46/19 one time:eek:
Anyway, how to slow is to use alot of front brake, and leg brake.
If your spinning fast, you cant do this so well, so you have to use alot of front brake and leg brake.
Although, i have just been going along fast before, needed to brake in emergency and used alot of front brake, and pulled up on the pedals. I did little skids to bring my speed down. Not so good if your not confident though.

Top Bottom