How to Spend £100 on Accessories?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aces_up1504

Now that the bike purchase is all but done.

I thought i would add another £100 to c2w voucher for accesories.

Already have the helment, lights, high quality water proofs, top half base layers

So whats next in the essentials? Of course i need a pump, spares & water bottle but outside of this whats next? aiming fairly low level distance wise around 5miles to get started but would like to be up to 10 miles and more though the winter months

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
if you are going to commute 5 days a week then you will need 5 pairs of cycling shorts. Unless you wash some during the week. Clean cycling clothing every day.

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Not planning on commuting until the spring/summer and have worked up a good base fitness to do the distance in a good time.

So are the shorts essential kit?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not planning on commuting until the spring/summer and have worked up a good base fitness to do the distance in a good time.

So are the shorts essential kit?
Yup ,
I assumed you had some padded shorts .
They are a must as you will be uncomfortable after a short distance , in the winter i wear mine under leggings or ron hill bikesters.

ianjmcd

Über Member
what type of bike did you get hybrid/mtb get spd pedals and shoes road bike get spd sl pedals and road shoes or similar clip-less pedals you would be surprised the difference they can make

cyberknight

what type of bike did you get hybrid/mtb get spd pedals and shoes road bike get spd sl pedals and road shoes or similar clip-less pedals you would be surprised the difference they can make
Although there is no hard and fast rule ,you can use either on either .If you plan to walk any distance in cycling shoes the recessed "mtb" style cleat is more comfy , i use them on my roadie with a600 pedals and m520s on the commuter.
With regards to shorts commando is the way to go unless you want a bunched up pair of kecks rubbing your parts .....

ianjmcd

Über Member
Yup i just am so used to spd sl on my roadie ;-) horses for courses of course you can use spd on a road bike or if you have more money than sense some crank brothers egg beaters

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

ok can can we back up a little on the pedals and explain the meaning and differences. Still new to this game lol

akb

Veteran
Padded shorts isn't a necessity IMHO. I have cycled the majority of my short cycling life of 2 years on a 22 mile round trip commute, 4 days a week in a pair of normal un-padded double lined sports shorts and have had no problems. Obviously get them if you are sore, but give it a few months to saddle train your ass before making a purchase.

:smile:

cyberknight

ok can can we back up a little on the pedals and explain the meaning and differences. Still new to this game lol
spd sl or "road cleat "
shimano_spdsl_cleat.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS8MuW39QZ4ZYfWLUJNddTJ-yga97V_1PUuBtks6msvFqMIcp0b8SA-a6g.jpg

On the outside of the shoe and supposed to offer a bigger contact area with the pedal
"mtb" spd
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqDXuUMPQM8jh4eF_ZnvgYitOlMCyI6fkS94LrDCyrhEau4dGS.jpg

shimano-spd.jpg

recessed so easier to walk on, might cuase a hot spot due to the smaller size if your shoes are not stiff enough.
Both sorts have their own specific pedal shape.
TBH i have used both systems in my time and cant tell any difference in power transfer and i only ever suffered from hot spot( numb foot ) over the mtb cleat with really cheap and bendy shoes, heck my aldi specials i use for commuting are stiff enough .
Their are other systems but those are the main 2

Top Bottom