How to stop the brake from squeaking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

knonist

adjust the brake recently but no matter what I did, I cant stop it from squeaking (when braking). I have tried angleing it so one side (length) would touch the rim first, but no use.

Usually toeing in the pads works. Put a folded bit of card 2-3mm thick between the rear of the pad and the wheel rim, then tighten up your pad mounting bolt. If that doesn't work, think of the squealing as a kind of pedestrian warning noise.:ohmy:

jimboalee

Cheapo sidepull, centrepull and dual pivot can be adjusted for toe-in by bending with either a big adjustable spanner or the special tool.

More expensive brakes with a bit of metal thickness about them shouldn't be mechanically adjusted ( bent ). File the brake blocks at the rear to effect a 'lead-in' chamfer.

You can file the entire length of the block if you wish to similaute the toe-in.

If the brakes have 'cartridge' blocks which can be slipped in and out of the boxes and held secure by a small hex head screw, file them OUT of the boxes with them held in a vice.
These type of 'cartridge' blocks can be replaced without taking the box off the brake stirrup. Then there is no need to go through the toe-in setting procedure every time the cartridges are changed.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Are the pads worn and need changing?
I have mini v's that are somewhat prone to squealing apparently?
I have never had much of a problem.
The originals pads did 2000 miles... then replaced with pretty bog standard Fibrax pads and braking still nice and controlled ..

andyhunter

you could have a soultion of somesort i.e. oil or some kind of spray to make your bike glossy or shiny etc, no idea if you use it but if it gets onto the rim and or the brake pad and even if you wipe it off it will squeak for a while until it is fully gone.

Top Bottom