How to swap photo gallery from the old phone to the newone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thanks to much good advice both mine and MrsDs new phones are up and running.
All my photos are on the memory card so no problem.
After starting MrsDs we found hers are all actually on the old phone.
The only way I can think of is to replace the memory card, send the photos to it and put it back in the new phone.
Is there a more simple way ?

Sharky

Guru
I'm a bit of a dunce with mobiles, but is there a bluetooth option to transfer files?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks to much good advice both mine and MrsDs new phones are up and running.
All my photos are on the memory card so no problem.
After starting MrsDs we found hers are all actually on the old phone.
The only way I can think of is to replace the memory card, send the photos to it and put it back in the new phone.
Is there a more simple way ?
Put them all in the cloud - having them only on an easily lost phone is a recipe for disaster. You can manually copy them across, but honestly it is not the best way.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Does the new phone have a memory card slot? if yes, have you tried putting the "old" memory card into the memory slot of the new phone?

If no, from memory of your earlier posts, both phones are Samsungs. They have Apps for transferring data between phones (using, NFC, I think it is called, no need for a SIM, phones just have to be near each other).

If all else fails, you should be able to transfer by plugging memory card into a PC (or Mac) and plug in the new phone, and transfer using FileManager, or equivalent Mac App (Finder).

As i mentioned in another thread, if both phones are Samsung download the smartswitch app to both phones, designate one as master the other slave, pick what you want to transfer ( apps, files etc) and sit them next to each other and hey presto transfer via bluetooth, all done ( well it worked for me)

classic33

Leg End Member
My first thought. But can we do that with only one sim ?
You can do it with no SIM, in either handset.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Does the new phone have a memory card slot? if yes, have you tried putting the "old" memory card into the memory slot of the new phone?

If no, from memory of your earlier posts, both phones are Samsungs. They have Apps for transferring data between phones (using, NFC, I think it is called, no need for a SIM, phones just have to be near each other).

If all else fails, you should be able to transfer by plugging memory card into a PC (or Mac) and plug in the new phone, and transfer using FileManager, or equivalent Mac App (Finder).
New phone does have a slot for the memory card. MrsDs memory card is in there.....empty.
I recall mention of putting phones next to each other......I will explore that.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Just transferring photos whether it is by app, Bluetooth or memory card is not the full solution. There still only remains one copy of the data - get it into the cloud. You should only have just one copy of the data if you don't care about the data and are willing to lose it completely.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
As i mentioned in another thread, if both phones are Samsung download the smartswitch app to both phones, designate one as master the other slave, pick what you want to transfer ( apps, files etc) and sit them next to each other and hey presto transfer via bluetooth, all done ( well it worked for me)

That is the name of the App, couldn't bring it to mind.

Worked superbly when daughter, wife and sister-in-law got new (Samsung) phones, and, I was delegated the task of transferring the Apps, Data etc. ;)

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Dave7 I mentioned this before as is @Milkfloat now you really should be setting your phones to back up in to the cloud. Storing all your pics on the phones, whether on SIM or Memory Card or not, is a disaster waiting to happen. A back up is both simple and essential.

Please do look in to it. Happy to help as there are numerous options which are either free or low cost depending on the amount of data involved.

Top Bottom