How to train efficiently in winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
In winter, I normally train as normal as I do in summer. But is there a way to train more efficiently in winter?

I find myself very cold when I first go out (after warming up) but getting to an acceptable temperature when i am out riding. But is there a way to get warm from the start?

Chrisz

Über Member
Warm up on a turbo in the shed/garage perhaps?

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Do ten burpee's then jump on the bike and go, if you're not warmed up after 10 or so go to 20 etc.
odd but true it gets the blood going first thing in the morning and starts the warmup.

other then that just accept the cold for a few mins, you soon warm up.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I live at the top of a hill so I freeze for the first few minutes of every winter ride.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Do ten burpee's then jump on the bike and go, if you're not warmed up after 10 or so go to 20 etc.
odd but true it gets the blood going first thing in the morning and starts the warmup.

other then that just accept the cold for a few mins, you soon warm up.

What are burpee's? never heard of them before.

Zoiders

Standing to squat thrust to star jump.

Repeat until near death.

You will look like a tit doing them though.

Fiona N

Veteran
I live at the top of a hill so I freeze for the first few minutes of every winter ride.

I live in the middle of a hill so I have to chose between freezing and hitting a steep hill cold. I usually chose the former as with the latter, the sudden hard work makes me sweat too much and then I'm damp and cold after the hill.

Garz

Squat Member
In winter, I normally train as normal as I do in summer. But is there a way to train more efficiently in winter?

There is training more efficiently and then there is warming up (different questions IMHO).

Anyway, as cycling is very low impact it should not make too much of a difference. The priority is to avoid going out when its icey or has black ice (where the turbo comes in), injury is unwanted and can mean a big lay-off period.

I think mixing up a couple of turbo sessions during the poor weather, and getting out at the weekend to cover the mileage is the best aim. If you have the luxury of being able to get on the turbo pre and post ride as you have a garage/spare bike etc then I would utilise this facility.

Top Bottom