How to use derailleur gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Antuny

Regular
Please forgive what may appear to be a silly question. I've always ridden bicycles with hub gears, virtually trouble free but most importantly I can change gear whilst stationary. So, how do you derailleur gear users cope when you've had to make a sudden stop and then find you have to start again but you're in a high gear?

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Please forgive what may appear to be a silly question. I've always ridden bicycles with hub gears, virtually trouble free but most importantly I can change gear whilst stationary. So, how do you derailleur gear users cope when you've had to make a sudden stop and then find you have to start again but you're in a high gear?

No silly questions and no magic answer as we all do it. If possible give a gentle push off in the high gear and drop as many gears as needed / possible in the shortest time, whilst keeping momentum. Expletives and groans are optional.

I am no expert - I have just made it up over the years with no reference to experts or anything

However, personally I take one of 2 options
a) just stand on the pedals and get on with it if possible
b) change down 1 gear on the shifter then lift the back wheel off the ground and press the pedal - witha bit of luck and practice it will change gear for you
this is especially useful at traffic lights where you have a minute or so to wait anyway

I am sure there is a better way!

ExBrit

Über Member
You have to do the wheel-lift-of-shame. Shift down a few gears. With one foot clipped out and one clipped in at the top of the stroke, lean forward and get your butt out of the saddle. Grab the back of your saddle and lift your rear wheel off the ground. Push the pedal down so the chain moves over the cassette. It's not really a cause for shame unless you fall over doing it. Then it's hilarious.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

As @Cycleops has said it is largely a question of anticipating the gear one is going to need and changing accordingly. I remember having to say to a then new cycle buddy "you wouldn't drive your car like that." She was always in the wrong gear at junctions etc. She was very inexperienced at the time and we have become good friends.

For me there are two situations when this occurs, I'm not paying attention or the need for an emergency stop. The latter are few and far between and for the former I usually lift the rear wheel while changing down to the small chain ring. If I have left myself in a very high gear I wouldn't attempt to set off without changing. The worst is on short, sharp climbs when by not paying proper attention I get the gear completely wrong and then busting a gut to avoid the dismount of shame!!!!! :laugh:

a.twiddler

Veteran
All the above. Derailleur gears have many virtues but being able to change gear when not moving is not one of them. Changing down on the rear cassette involves the chain climbing on to a bigger sprocket with more teeth so needs the wheel to be turning freely. If you have two or more chainrings on the front and you stop with the chain on one of the bigger ones it is theoretically easier to change down at the front when you lift the back wheel as the chain is dropping on to a smaller cog assisted by the derailleur chain tensioner. It still needs a bit of coordination whichever way you do it.

If you get into the habit of spinning rather than stomping the pedals you are more likely to be in a lower gear so less likely to be caught out. As mentioned above, a bit of anticipation goes a long way, and after a while you will just get into the habit of knocking it down a gear or so before you stop, or reading the road so you are already in a low enough gear to keep going on an approaching hill. Even experienced cyclists might get caught out by short sharp hills on an unfamiliar winding road, or a vehicle stopping unexpectedly to let an unseen cat cross the road but these become rarer as you get used to your gear system. It's mostly about anticipation.

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
On a delta trike with one driven rear wheel or a differential, you can just lift the driven wheel or any rear wheel as you would a bike. With a double freewheel, you'd have to lift both rear wheels. With a tadpole trike you could just lift the rear wheel. Less chance of falling over in those instances, though you would have to get off.

On the point about having- or maybe "it being best" - to get into the anticipation mode by looking further ahead and predicting what may happen ahead
This is actually a great habit for anyone using the road no matter what vehicle you happen to be in
It was a major part of the Advanced Driving Test I took many many years ago through the IAM
and the concept is especially useful when riding with derailleur gears but applies in all circumstances and for all modes of transport

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So, how do you derailleur gear users cope when you've had to make a sudden stop and then find you have to start again but you're in a high gear?
Overshift as many gears as possible, push off, applying as little power as possible, then move the lever back to match the gear when it's shifted down enough. I still prefer hub gears.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On the point about having- or maybe "it being best" - to get into the anticipation mode by looking further ahead and predicting what may happen ahead
This is actually a great habit for anyone using the road no matter what vehicle you happen to be in
It was a major part of the Advanced Driving Test I took many many years ago through the IAM
and the concept is especially useful when riding with derailleur gears but applies in all circumstances and for all modes of transport
It is not good to be thinking about unnecessarily complex vehicle controls when you should be focussing on addressing a hazard.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Another tip, if it helps. When you are slowing to a stop you might usually freewheel to a halt and therefore find yourself in the wrong gear for departure. As you are slowing you can slowly spin the cranks to change down, without having to actually drive the bike forward. You'll still be effectively freewheeling but just turning the cranks enough to make the gear change. I find this useful if, for example, approaching a t-junction where I know I will have to slow and give way but may be able to ride through if it's clear.

Top Bottom