Upgrade old MTB from 18 gears to 21?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
It may seem odd, but the most economic option (if you get lucky) could be to buy a damaged or low quality bike which already has all the parts you need. Gumtree near me has a few bikes for sale for £20 to £60 with 3x8 speeds.

It will mean going and looking at a few to find one that has not had much use and is not stolen, but it could be worth the effort.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

I think it's a aluminium frame. I measured the frame and it's 130 mm.

This is the bike. I changed the stem and handlebars to get them closer and higher.
Mine is a bit rougher than this one.

https://www.easyliveauction.com/cat...646f/general-household-furniture-and-effects/
It spent a long time in gardens before I started using at the end of last year.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
You just edited your post above from "steel" to "aluminium"!!! (2245 UTC)
So no option for new (last 12 years 135mm OLD) wheel. My advice stands. Your LBS will have a 7sp block - 14-28t (phone to check) and will fit in minutes, if you go in with the wheel by arrangement or when they're not busy. Likely the current chain will be long enough as well. Provided it's not had 'loadsa' mileage it'll be fine on a new 7sp block. The 6sp shifter will more or less work on the 7sp block while you procure a 7sp RH shifter.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

You just edited your post above from "steel" to "aluminium"!!! (2245 UTC)
So no option for new (last 12 years 135mm OLD) wheel. My advice stands. Your LBS will have a 7sp block - 14-28t (phone to check) and will fit in minutes, if you go in with the wheel by arrangement or when they're not busy. Likely the current chain will be long enough as well. Provided it's not had 'loadsa' mileage it'll be fine on a new 7sp block. The 6sp shifter will more or less work on the 7sp block while you procure a 7sp RH shifter.
Thanks. When I was looking for a picture of my bike I saw in one of the adds it said it was aluminium. I thought it was steel because of how heavy it is.

Ajax Bay

Guru
One of my bikes ('81) has an aluminium fork (steel steerer tube): lovely blades the same calibre as steel ones of that era, but I'll warrant the tube thickness is substantial (ALAN glued and screwed). The blades are not magnetic :okay:

personal opinion - to tell the truth, having seen the pic, (ally and suspension - neither of which I am keen on) I would forget it and get another quality second hand steel thingie to work on. You say you want to use the bike for long rides? Mostly on road or just gentle offroad tracks/towpaths etc?. I'd look for a good quality 7 speed 90s steel hybrid and tinker with that.

personal opinion - to tell the truth, having seen the pic, (ally and suspension - neither of which I am keen on) I would forget it and get another quality second hand steel thingie to work on. You say you want to use the bike for long rides? Mostly on road or just gentle offroad tracks/towpaths etc?. I'd look for a good quality 7 speed 90s steel hybrid and tinker with that.

I'd second that.

Plus you can adjust the gearing to suit. There's maths you can do to work it out if you're that way inclined.

Also, by switching to something with a rigid front fork, you're ditching a lot of unnecessary weight, which makes things easier in that respect.

But hey, it looks cool...
But here's the thing - they look fugly! I've only ever ridden one bike with such a thing. I spent a week and some cash rebuilding it (it was a free bike from @iateyoubutler ), but it was a huge surprise. A Merida Big Nine 40 29er, not a cheap bike in any way. But so heavy, not just weight, but in ride, if you get what I mean. Road it once for 7 miles and gave it away in my turn...
@fasturtle , find an all-steel bike and start modding!

But here's the thing - they look fugly! I've only ever ridden one bike with such a thing. I spent a week and some cash rebuilding it (it was a free bike from @iateyoubutler ), but it was a huge surprise. A Merida Big Nine 40 29er, not a cheap bike in any way. But so heavy, not just weight, but in ride, if you get what I mean. Road it once for 7 miles and gave it away in my turn...
@fasturtle , find an all-steel bike and start modding!

Or rather, the marketing people tell us they look cool... I'm fairly ambivalent tbh.

The only one I rode (well, as much as you can ride inside a Decathlon shop) felt like a cross between a shopping trolley and a pogo stick. The front end was vague and didn't inspire confidence. It was their top-of-the-range junior MTB, but it didn't do it for me.

OK, my Raleigh might be a bit of a lardy lump, but it handles very nicely.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

My brother gave me this bike because my dad's bike was to big. My old bike was to trashed to save. When I was riding my dad's my wrists hurt after a long ride. His was a 20 inch rigid old MTB. My brother's is an 19 inch. I have had no wrist pain with it. But I have raised the handle bars and put a Dutch style handle bar on it to make it more comfortable. I thought the suspension was what helped my wrists but I don't even know if the suspension still works. I have been thinking about getting a smaller frame maybe an 17". If I don't bother with the suspension that will give me more choice. I could also get at least 21 gears as well.
Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom