Knee pain from unclipping?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I unclip in different ways but recently did a ride where I did it more with my left leg first when it was at around 12 o'clock position. Noticed a knee discomfort that hasn't been there before so decided to test it by consistently unclipping at 12 o'clock on some rides and 6 o'clock on others... A few rides later and it's pretty consistent: It seems that unclipping with a bend leg hurts my knee in the long run. Anyone ever experienced something similar?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why?

Why would you do this?

Are you mad?

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Am I about to get crucified? :eek:

Never actually thought about it - felt natural. I'm soo sorry cycling gods! :cry:

No, really - no one else does that?

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Try winding down the tension on the pedal spring to the absolute minimum. I've never, ever unclipped by accident as a result.

BTW, I think that the muscles in your leg/ankle are much better designed to unclip at tea-time rather than midnight.
Oh it's at minimum alright. I'm definitely not putting in an effort to unclip, just the very act of doing it at the lunch (let's stick to meals) position a few times causes me discomfort latter in the ride. If it was the ankle that would be more understandable, but the knee?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Oh it's at minimum alright. I'm definitely not putting in an effort to unclip, just the very act of doing it at the lunch (let's stick to meals) position a few times causes me discomfort latter in the ride. If it was the ankle that would be more understandable, but the knee?

The knee is a pretty badly designed joint. It's good at flexing up and down and back and forth, but it's complete crap at twisting sideways. Stick to tea-time and some softcore ankle action.:okay:

Op must be lonely. Always noticed opening post carries a poser for which he knows the answer to and obvious to others. As I in "I climbed a tree but not sure how to come down". And people in good faith will come in advising how to climb down.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Op must be lonely. Always noticed opening post carries a poser for which he knows the answer to and obvious to others. As I in "I climbed a tree but not sure how to come down". And people in good faith will come in advising how to climb down.

This is an uncalled for remark. The OP's question is valid, perhaps surprising to many but still valid.

Sharky

Guru
Always near the six o clock position. Have to be precise when riding fixed, so unclip early.

The one time I did try at the 12 o'clock position was when a car in front of me stopped very quickly and I was too close. It was at a junction and the car stopped after starting to move. I failed to unclip and had my first "clip less moment", falling sideways. This was probably over 30 years ago and have never tried since.

I can confirm that in an accident, you unclip without thinking.

Venod

Eh up
I have never analysed where in the pedal stroke I unclip but I imagine it's somewhere near the bottom of the circle, unclipping at 12 o'clock seems odd, I do know it's always my left leg and never such a problem that causes pain.

mustang1

Guru
Am I about to get crucified? :eek:

Never actually thought about it - felt natural. I'm soo sorry cycling gods! :cry:

No, really - no one else does that?

Nothing wrong with asking the question.

Come to think of it, now i cannot recall at what position I unclip. I thought sometimes i do it at 12, sometimes at 6. I will keep note next time.

Top Bottom