Knee pain from unclipping?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm another who can't remember where I clip out. Not something I ever remember thinking about. Pretty sure it's at the bottom of the stroke.
*Makes note to check on commute home this afternoon*

CXRAndy

Guru
Pete, try and get easier release fittings for your pedals or swap type of pedals.

My own experience recently. I swapped out my MTB cleats which were the easy unclip version to the harder type. Reason being, I was unclipping on high power sprints -dangerous injury could occur.

The new cleats are perfect in keeping me in the pedals but are difficult to unclip end of ride. I have to be careful a little, because it strains my ankle if I unclip in the wrong position

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Never thought about it but I think I unclip at "12"

The reason is that if I'm coasting to a stop, right leg at "6" and unclipping left leg at "12" seems more stable than the other way around
I think this may be why I did it as well. I coast with the right foot at 6 and then don't turn the crank when it's time to unclip so naturally left foot is at 12.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think I unclip my first foot at ''lunchtime'' when I'm getting off. With the 2nd foot at the bottom - it takes my body weight as I swing off.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Never thought about it but I think I unclip at "12"

The reason is that if I'm coasting to a stop, right leg at "6" and unclipping left leg at "12" seems more stable than the other way around

same here I think, because at a position other than 12, there is some counterbalancing with the other foot going on, so when you unclip the cranks will move as no longer in balance. At 12 the opposite crank is stable at 6??

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought that this was a very silly discussion and there was a very obvious way to unclip (right foot up, unclip left). I assumed that was how I did it. Now I am not so sure... I suspect that I actually do it right foot down, unclip left! :wacko:

I will check next time I ride.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I suspect that I actually do it right foot down, unclip left! :wacko:

I checked on today's ride. Providing it is a planned stop - right foot down, unclip left. For an emergency stop, obviously whatever has to be done in a hurry!

I also took note of how I start off... Right foot down to clip that in, backpedal that to the top of the pedal stroke to push off, then right foot down, clip in left foot in the up position.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If I was to stay clipped in for 6 hours, I suspect I would have sore knees too!
Not to mention a bladder that wouldn't be able to last that long...

When I do unclip though, it's always with the left foot first, and always with the foot at at the lowest position.

Top Bottom