How to transfer data from one phone to another

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My old Sony Z3 compact has started to play up , so I have decided to buy a Motorola G5 after reading some of the recommendations on here and positive reviews on the net.

My problem is I do not know how to transfer my contacts, apps photos etc from the Sony to the Motorola (the Sony being my first smartphone), can any of the fine members of CC advise a technical numpty how to complete this task without him having a meltdown.

Your advice is greatly appreciated :banghead:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Are they both Android? There's an app called something like SmartSwitch. I think I used it on my phone. Can't remember if it's native to the phone, or operating system, or if you can just download it from the app store?

tobykenobi

Über Member
If they are both Android you should be able to make sure all your details are backed up to your Google account (look at Settings --> System --> Backup to see what is backed up and when) then, when you start your new phone for the first time it should give you the option to restore from a given phone back-up. I recently had to get a new phone after mine broke and on starting the new one it restored contacts, apps, call history, etc.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly

WHAT'S NEW
Attention Migrate Users:
Sorry, but we will be retiring Migrate starting on Android 6.0 Marshmallow. You may still use Migrate if you are on Android 2.2 Froyo to Android 5.1 Lollipop.
You may wish to choose another app as an alternative for your data transfers. While Motorola does not endorse or warranty third-party apps, some users have reported success using Copy My Data, Phone Copier, ShareIt etc.

WHAT'S NEW
Attention Migrate Users:
Sorry, but we will be retiring Migrate starting on Android 6.0 Marshmallow. You may still use Migrate if you are on Android 2.2 Froyo to Android 5.1 Lollipop.
You may wish to choose another app as an alternative for your data transfers. While Motorola does not endorse or warranty third-party apps, some users have reported success using Copy My Data, Phone Copier, ShareIt etc.
Fools. To my mind, that was a USP of the G series. I was very disappointed when I couldn't use it when I migrated away from motorola. Sensibly the Motorola app only worked when you bought a Motorola phone.

@User16390, follow @tobykenobi's advice. Get you phone synced with the cloud. Do it now, your phone might die suddently.

OP
OP
U

User16390

Fools. To my mind, that was a USP of the G series. I was very disappointed when I couldn't use it when I migrated away from motorola. Sensibly the Motorola app only worked when you bought a Motorola phone.

@User16390, follow @tobykenobi's advice. Get you phone synced with the cloud. Do it now, your phone might die suddently.

Thanks, I am going to have a go this evening :smile:

Top Bottom