How to Tricks and Skills for MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

I l finally earnt to bunny hop properly on a BMX having tried & failed for ages on a MTB. Once you get it, it's like riding a bike lol, you never forget.

Before then I used a cheats (think it's sometimes called an English) bunny hop, where both wheels leave the floor at the same time, rather than manualling then picking up the back end. Maybe try to get the hang of this first, it's a bit easier

Hard to explain in words how to do it... I sort of pump my bodyweight hard down through the pedals, sinking my hips (saddle needs to be low) then jump up, pointing my toes down a little, which seems to lift the back end. Don't pull on the bars with your arms, you'll get an initial lift but that'll crash back down without much control.

Although not a "proper" bunny hop, you can still get good air off a small lip in the trail, and use it to clear non rollable drops. I use it much more than the proper (American?) hop as I'm much more confident in my ability to do it well under pressure.

After a few years practice I can just about hop my MTB "properly" in the car park, but don't have the skill to do it while hurling down a rocky slope.
yup, i can to a english bunny hop but can't get very high of the ground

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

There are some awesome Dirt Jumps that a boy locally is building in some woods, and would hirely recommend people going there
Although, there are some very tight corners
(Alot of Burms)
If anyone would like me to let them know, please ask

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Practice. Lots.

Even this old duffer can get some air bunny hopping. Clipless pedals do help.

Can get some good air on my full sus, and that's not light.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
well thats the thing, i can do a bunny hop of full sus, but not hardtail
Once you get 'it' you realise you can hop an old folding shopper or a commuter bike with laden panniers. When I was learning to ride a bike as a nipper I spent a few weeks thinking I could only ride my mate's Grifter coz it had wide tyres and my bike had skinny tyres so obviously would fall over :rolleyes:

ChrisEyles

Guru
If you can do an English bunny hop already, why not try finding some small drops to jump off? Stairs are good fun if you can find a short run. A decent sized kerb can also be good practice to hop up onto - if you mess it up you'll feel it but the consequence are low.

It's not a flashy trick but if you get confident with it you can put it to a lot of good use out on the trails.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

If you can do an English bunny hop already, why not try finding some small drops to jump off? Stairs are good fun if you can find a short run. A decent sized kerb can also be good practice to hop up onto - if you mess it up you'll feel it but the consequence are low.

It's not a flashy trick but if you get confident with it you can put it to a lot of good use out on the trails.
@ChrisEyles, thanks for your great help. i have already been practising riding down stairs, and jumping onto and off kerbs. I can do proper bunny hops onto kerbs with my younger brother's Full Sus Kids bike, which helps to practise.
But here in Kirkliston, we don't really have big stairs to jump down.
If anyone watces Sam Pilgrim YT channel, he does alot of URBAN street riding, and he is the one i watch most of the time. He does ride down stairs alot in Colchester. He's great fun.

Top Bottom