How to use roundabout cycle lanes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

heavens

How do you use roundabout cycle lanes like these please?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPHwOw1S4Ac

I'm fairly new to cycling on the road and I've never encountered one of these before - are you supposed to stop for vehicles or are you supposed to signal, how do they work?

There isn't one of these in my area that I know of - I just would like to know incase I come across one.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Relevant bit starts at 1:10 ?

OP
OP
heavens

heavens

Well avoided. Best to ignore them and take the lane. They're not ''normal'' for the UK so drivers won't be expecting them. Even if they've driven the same route for the last 5 years. You were in the right but that won't help an unfortunate cyclist in A&E.
*That's not me in the footage by the way!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
*That's not me in the footage by the way!
I know, you've got the camera and the mouth. ;)

BrynCP

Über Member
As above, take the lane a car would, and in a strong position, especially if turning right.

Many drivers unfortunately won't think of a cyclist on their inside as they come off the roundabout, as they wouldn't expect a car there. They also wouldn't expect somebody to take the full roundabout in the inside lane, even though the guidance suggests a cyclist may want to do this.

Mile195

Veteran
Personally I would do away with painted cycle lanes, seems they encourage segregation and bad habits.
+1. Whoever painted that lane does not cycle. And it's dangerous to encourage cyclists who might not know better to cycle round the outside of the roundabout.
I did a cycling proficiency course when I was 9 years old, and even then I specifically remember being taught correct positioning on roundabouts... Your local council should consider sending some of their line painters on the same course!

+1. Whoever painted that lane does not cycle. And it's dangerous to encourage cyclists who might not know better to cycle round the outside of the roundabout.
I did a cycling proficiency course when I was 9 years old, and even then I specifically remember being taught correct positioning on roundabouts... Your local council should consider sending some of their line painters on the same course!
Stop painting the roads and put the money into a better surface, besides the road painters will have only been told what to do and not question it.

Top Bottom