How true is this..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trillian

Blue said:
I was a child in the 50's and can identify with all of that.

i was a child in the 80's and 90's ( left senior school in 2000) and did most of that, especially the go carts right up until about 1998.

barq

I clipped the very end of the 70s, but really I'm a child of the 80s/90s. I recognise what people are saying and can see with my young nieces today that 'stranger danger' seems to mean you can't play outdoors unsupervised. It is a shame really because some of my nieces are frankly verging on the obese.

I suppose the other shift is the type of toys. When I was young computer games were so shite that most people weren't into them - perhaps for half an hour and then you were done. And whereas many of us grew up with a bicycle I keep seeing kids around here driving electric cars, monkey bikes, little electric tricycles and so on. I'm sure they're fun and all that, but damn some of these kids need the exercise!

Then again I saw some teens on BMXs in the park the other day and they were so skillful they were virtually supernatural! Skateboards and parkour don't really float my boat, but same applies. Pity my local council seems hellbent on marginalising them out of existence.

Interesting when you compare the OP with the subject matter of the 'inappropriate behaviour by teachers' thread...what are the common themes? A complete disregard for life and limb? Unfettered freedom outside school but horrific discipline within it? dunno myself, just thinking outloud really...

Top Bottom