How wide are your flat bars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Right, mine are 490mm wide. They're OS bars and everything just fits on but I did have to cut the last ridge off the grips. It's comfy for me although I've recently been spending a lot of time in a pseudo-TT position with my hands centrally on the bars holding on to the brake reservoirs (not hard before anyone gives me horror stories of how gripping reservoirs can go badly wrong).

GilesM

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
What I'm trying to say is "The bike should fit the rider, not the rider fit the bike"...

The bike and rider should fit the cycling activity that the bike is to be used for, I wouldn't fancy a bit of DH with bars the width of my shoulders, neither would I want to ride a pursuit with normal width road bars. Times have changed a bit since all bars were virtually the same.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I'll be interested to see how far on I can get everything before they butt up against the oversize bulge in the middle. I'm probably changing the shifters anyway to narrower ones.

Everything of mine is up against the bulge, it'd be better if the shifter and brakes were one unit but they're separate so there's two clamps. I'll try and get a pic up but it won't be until tomorrow avo.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Here's the pics. Back to your OP, mine's a 26" wheel too and I don't find it twitchy. It's a 100/110mm stem that I have on it, £1 from Halfrauds!

I have a Hope Vision 1 that sits on the fat part of the bars without issue. I have a second flashing LED light in winter but that goes round the head-tube as it's just a small strap-type clamp.

4520064061_648ab3db04_o.jpg
4520061931_d49d259cef_o.jpg
4520696888_4bc01e9341_o.jpg
4520697506_9d11a3c889_o.jpg

Top Bottom