How your driving attitude changes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lucky you haven't got a video to post on here.I bet you'd get some 5h1t about it.

He's probably posting the same about you on an alternate website somewhere.:rofl:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Somewhere in the world I went once had big signs at things like this telling people to merge 'like a zip'. i.e. let every other person in (not a great description I know)

It seemed to work quite well

Arch

Married to Night Train
zimzum42 said:
Somewhere in the world I went once had big signs at things like this telling people to merge 'like a zip'. i.e. let every other person in (not a great description I know)

It seemed to work quite well

Apparently that's what's meant to happen - but for some reason, we don't know that. I'm thinking back, and I'm sure I was never taught it when I was learning to drive - I suppose it's mostly a motorway issue. Do kids get taught it now, when they do 'plus' lessons?

I think I've seen similar signs, in Germany. Of course, they would get it right in Germany.

I don't think the whole zipping thing is anywhere in the highway code (not especially looked but cannot remember seeing it), it is just one of those polite things the if the queue is doing it then we should too.
I do think there is something about lane merging. It is similar to if you join a motorway. The ones already on the motorway are driving dangeroursly if they do not let you in.

Re the OP- I put money on the inconsiderate git being in a BMW or Audi.

wafflycat

Over The Hill said:
I don't think the whole zipping thing is anywhere in the highway code (not especially looked but cannot remember seeing it), it is just one of those polite things the if the queue is doing it then we should too.
I do think there is something about lane merging. It is similar to if you join a motorway. The ones already on the motorway are driving dangeroursly if they do not let you in.

Re the OP- I put money on the inconsiderate git being in a BMW or Audi.

From the HC...

"Lane discipline

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Road works

When the ‘Road Works Ahead’ sign is displayed, you will need to be more watchful and look for additional signs providing more specific instructions. Observe all signs - they are there for your safety and the safety of road workers.
  • you MUST NOT exceed any temporary maximum speed limit
  • use your mirrors and get into the correct lane for your vehicle in good time and as signs direct
  • do not switch lanes to overtake queuing traffic
  • take extra care near cyclists and motorcyclists as they are vulnerable to skidding on grit, mud or other debris at road works
  • where lanes are restricted due to road works, merge in turn (see Rule 134)
  • do not drive through an area marked off by traffic cones
  • watch out for traffic entering or leaving the works area, but do not be distracted by what is going on there. Concentrate on the road ahead, not the road works
  • bear in mind that the road ahead may be obstructed by the works or by slow moving or stationary traffic
  • keep a safe distance - there could be queues in front
To obtain further information about road works see 'Other information'"

montage

God Almighty
Tell you what, since I passed my test the other day and removed the L plates, the change in attitude of other drivers in amazing. Closing right up on my arse and getting lairy if I am slightly hesitent. First time on my own in the car today which was a pleasant experience - if I had never cycled then I may have been pretty shocked by the attitudes of many drivers

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
wafflycat said:
Yebbut... not *before* them. It's their road! ;)

Ah I can see that would be annoying, you've doing all the roadworks, put out the cones, taking them in later and then someone cuts in on you the one time you're driving along in a traffic jam for a bit of fun.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Whereas in the old days I'd get riled if anyone dared drive up the outside of a half-mile queue towards a coned-off lane, now I don't understand why us Brits elongate roadworks congestion by starting the queue way too early and expecting everyone to stay orderly behind, and it's the dangerous idiots who stop anyone sensible pairing up the queue by then preventing them to filter in at a more appropriate position who get my goat.
I'm similar in the respect that I'd get in the queue early & curse anyone who cut in at the last minute, but a few years ago I attended an advanced driving course & a traffic cop on one session questioned us about this & when we got into the appropriate lane. He pointed out that you can use the other lanes right upto the point at which they close & if everyone did this & 'zipped' in it would reduce the traffic queues considerably. I still tend to get in the queue early, but dont get stressed out with those that dont ;)

Bayerd

Über Member
Soltydog said:
I'm similar in the respect that I'd get in the queue early & curse anyone who cut in at the last minute, but a few years ago I attended an advanced driving course & a traffic cop on one session questioned us about this & when we got into the appropriate lane. He pointed out that you can use the other lanes right upto the point at which they close & if everyone did this & 'zipped' in it would reduce the traffic queues considerably. I still tend to get in the queue early, but dont get stressed out with those that dont ;)

That's my mentality on it. The lane closes when the lane closes. If someone gets upset because they've just watched you pass a long line rather than 'wait your turn', that's their problem.

There are times when I'll get in lane early and accept that I'll have to wait, there are also times when I'm in a rush and will look to move over at the latest opportunity. When I was younger I used to get angry at people pushing in. I don't really bother now, unfortunately there are too many on the road that haven't the intellegence to understand how easy things could be. They're too busy trying to get one over on someone or not letting someone get one over on them....

Top Bottom