How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

I'm pretty sure I do understand vriables.

I used a simple example of the kind of approach you could use to measure helmets effectiveness. Of course it was incomplete - I didn't have time to design a full study. It was simply meant to illustrate why people not reporting accidents wasn't necessarily a problem.

I can see that, can you not see the problem with those that do ?

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Adrian, I would like to find out the hard evidence that helmets work. Now from my own personal experience I feel they do sometimes but not all the time I am not that thick to think that. It seems that other than guessing we have no way to find the numbers, it seems we can have a better idea but certainly not fool proof of when a helmet may have been of a benefit no matter how little to somebody who received a head injury.

Now can I get this point across to some of you once again, I am not for compulsion and doubt I ever will be. There are far to many people who are obese that wearing a helmet would just be another excuse not to exercise. We need better education of drivers, better road conditions, cycle training available for children and adults, better maintained cycle paths and the list goes on.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
There are plenty of people shouting that already, but the evidence is hard to come by. Personally I feel the helmet has saved my head from damage however slight on a couple of occasions, however I did not report this. Maybe to finally put this matter to rest we need a way of obtaining both sides of the story for hard facts, which from both sides is something we are missing.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Collection of data @ A&E is flawed anyway. Non wearers (like me attending for an arm injury) get asked if we were wearing a helmet
I was going to say something similar except I was wearing a helmet, and again attended with an arm injury and was questioned as to whether I was wearing a helmet. I did point out that I hadn't actually hit my head anyway so that it was irrelevant whether I had been wearing one or not.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
So you wasted NHS time when a simple yes or no would have done. It is the sort of answer I would keep somebody waiting longer for.
How was that wasting time ... I gave them additional information about the extent of my injuries, - surely they were wasting time in the first place by asking about helmet wearing rather than if I had hit my head?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It is the sort of answer I would keep somebody waiting longer for.

On the other hand a valid contribution, in a small way, to save the NHS from using bad data, or more accurately, perfectly OK data badly - thus a service to Society.
(not entirely tongue in cheek by the way.)

lukesdad

Sorry, I don't really understand what you're trying to say.

I think you do.

Lets say for instance the injuries to helmet users are in a higher risk group to start with, i refer you back to my time question. Would you not expect the figures to be even higher than they are.

lukesdad

On the subject of injuries to helmet users showing no change in countries that have adopted a compulsion law. Why would we expect a change ? Surely it would be the non wearers giving up cycling I would expect the injuries to increase not decrease.

Linford

As above, it's an estimate. You'll never get 100% accuracy, but methods like this are standard epidemiology, and widely accepted.

More persuasive are the countries that have introduced compulsion and not seen any improvement in the proportion of head injuries.

I've got 2 lids, a Raleigh and a MET. I don't always wear them when on the cycle. Just because they are bought, they are not always used so the data is going to be skewed.

Also most of the people I know who have participated in the cycle to work scheme never commute on the bike and acquired the bike and gear as cheap tax deductible trophy's.

lukesdad

Some reading for you...

books?id=QBmsVY0p7YkC&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&l=220.jpg

Thank you for that contribution, now moving on.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom