Howdy-doodley-do from Canterbury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kalaika

Perpetually riding in a headwind
Firstly a big hi-di-hi to all is in order, I think.

Having been lurking for a little while, I thought it’s probably about time I actually joined in the fun and frolics of this site, so here goes...

**deep breath**

I live just outside Canterbury in Kent, and whilst I would consider myself to be fairly near the ‘basic’ end of the cycling spectrum in terms of ability and experience, I’m keen to do things ‘right’ in terms of attitude (for my own safety on the roads as much as anything), hence my loitering in places like this!

In order to get more exercise, I’ve recently started commuting into Canterbury which I’ve been enjoying although I’m quite fortunate that my route is fairly light on traffic, and the nice weather has certainly helped! So far I’ve managed twice a week for the past six weeks or so, which I don’t think is a bad start.
It’s a 5 and a bit mile journey each way (which I know is small fry compared to some!) but there’s a big hill between my home and work which almost put me off giving it a go in the first place (at least I class it as a big hill for my ability – see below for the approximate altitude (in feet) over the journey
5758419752_1299331ab0_z.jpg

And I do this on a 10-ish year old Fuji mountain bike that I’ve tried to hybridify a bit (is that a word? Sure, why not!) with rear pannier rack, slicker tyres, etc, to make my life a bit easier. Funds don’t stretch to n+1 at the mo!

So that’s about it, really. I don’t really see other cyclists on my commute to say hello to (I think I’ve counted 3 so far!) so I’ll say hi here instead!

mog35

Hi there! I'm just down the road from you, in Thanet.

Is the big hill the one leading up from the city centre to the university, by any chance? Great fun coming down!

The ride to Whitstable along the Crab and Winkle way is nice if you want to go a bit further on a day off - about seven miles each way

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Welcome
biggrin.gif

I cycle round the Canterbury area fairly regularly (riding buddy lives there) and there certainly are some fearsome hills there!

Enjoy your cycling, and if you ever encounter a fat bloke wheezing along miles behind in the wake a skinny bloke, give me a wave
blush.gif
laugh.gif

Chrisz

Über Member
Hi and welcome :smile: I also am a local - cycle in from Sittingbourne via Dunkirk Hill most days!! If you see someone looking very red and struggling up the hills it's probably me :smile: :smile:

OP
OP
kalaika

kalaika

Perpetually riding in a headwind
Thanks for the welcome everyone - it's nice to see that there are some others in this area!

Chrisz - the Dunkirk hill is the hill that I have to content with as well. It's good to know I'm not the only one that struggles with it! ;)

Top Bottom