Howdy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzzybuddha

New here just wanted to introduce myself. I have been biking for about 5 years, but have been seriously into it the last 2. When I got serious about it is when i was 270 lbs, while having health issues i wanted to get healthy. When i started i could barely do miles. I was huffing and puffing something terrible. but then i started to build and get better. I am currently 175-177 lbs, i am able to bike 15-20 miles with relative ease. Here is where i am having problems progressing. I have been able to do a max of about 24 miles. Though it was a solo ride. I am not sure if that has any impact. I have been trying to build and get longer rides as i am doing a 30 mile ride in August and November. My question is: How can i increase my stamina? Do i just need to ride longer and further?

vickster

Legendary Member
Have a rest with a cuppa and a piece of cake at 20 miles and then carry on for another. At sometime you’ll find you don’t need to stop at 20 but 30. Presumably you’re having stops along the way to take up fluids

Globalti

Legendary Member
The body reacts very readily to whatever stresses you put upon it so you have probably reached a plateau in your fitness and stamina. Now is the time to take it a bit more seriously, cut meal sizes, cut out crappy processed food and beer and push yourself a wee bit further and faster every ride. If you come up to a short hill, attack it rather than dropping a few gears and spinning up. You'll be amazed how fast you build muscle and lose fat.

OP
OP
fuzzybuddha

fuzzybuddha

The body reacts very readily to whatever stresses you put upon it so you have probably reached a plateau in your fitness and stamina. Now is the time to take it a bit more seriously, cut meal sizes, cut out crappy processed food and beer and push yourself a wee bit further and faster every ride. If you come up to a short hill, attack it rather than dropping a few gears and spinning up. You'll be amazed how fast you build muscle and lose fat.
I have started doing this very thing. I find myself pushing harder for a longer duration.

OP
OP
fuzzybuddha

fuzzybuddha

Well done for your progress so far!

What did you feel like after 24 miles that would stop you going further?

Was that on flat roads? (24 miles uphill would be a real killer!)

It was on a bike rail, it was fairly flat. I was good most of the way through, until the final mile or so. I was definitely sucking wind. legs were pretty fatigued. I managed to push and finish it off.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sounds like you bonked, which is when you run out of energy. It wouldn't do any harm to add some carbohydrate powder to your water bottle. In the UK you can buy it cheaply as maltodextrin from websites like myprotein.com or expensively in the form of fancy energy powders from the likes of SIS.

OP
OP
fuzzybuddha

fuzzybuddha

Sounds like you bonked, which is when you run out of energy. It wouldn't do any harm to add some carbohydrate powder to your water bottle. In the UK you can buy it cheaply as maltodextrin from websites like myprotein.com or expensively in the form of fancy energy powders from the likes of SIS.

That was one of my thoughts. I was/am not sure if it is a conditioning thing or a energy thing. My legs do seem a little tired. I will try this out and see how it works out... thank you

Sharky

Guru
You know you can do 20 miles easily, so when starting on that first 30 mile ride, take the first 10 miles so slowly that you don't use any energy. Soft pedal and have a rest after the 10 miles. Then re-start, knowing that the last 20 miles are easy.

Top Bottom