Howling mtb disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LOGAN 5

Can anybody tell me how to get rid of 2 really horrible squealing - no howling disc brakes? They're on a Specialized Stumpy Expert so are not cheap end gear.

The LBS have had the discs out and cleaned them rubbed the pads down but this hasn't worked.

Motorbike discs don't squal any more (some might sometimes) so why are bike discs still susceptible to this awful screaching? They even start to screach when dry though not nearly as badly.

Any advice gratefully received.

Ultimate solution to change discs and pads perhaps.

i think you should change the pads since they are contaminated, then clean the disc with white spirit or nail polish remover

davidwalton

A little Copper Grease on the back of the pads. This stops squeals due to movement of pads.

This is a standard fix for Motorbike and car brakes that squeal due to pad movement.

barq

Are you using sintered pads? They last longer but can make more noise. The other thing to consider is whether the disc brake mounts need to be faced by the bike shop. How old are the disc rotors? Are they worn? I know some rotors start squealing as they become slightly concave.

dangerousjules said:
i think you should change the pads since they are contaminated, then clean the disc with white spirit or nail polish remover

Isn't it meths you should use rather than white spirit? I'm sure WS leaves an oily residue.

I'm also not absolutely sure about using copper grease. I know people who've found it helped, but most of the manufacturers advise against because it can so easily contaminate the pads (more easily than with a motorbike).

OP
OP
L

LOGAN 5

Thanks for your comments. The discs (as we speak) are being soaked in some - liquid- from the LBS, they are going to be re-united with the bike as some future point - soon i hope - otherwise it will be a new set.

Found out today that new(ish) - that means 4 months of use - Stumpy Expert needs a new shock - courtesy of a warranty job thank god. Apparently there's a problem with the shocks and negative/positive air (bike shop speak!) and the seals going. so it's back to the mantufactuer to reconfigure the shock.

I can feel a difficult cusomer comming on.......! Hope they can get it right this time.

barq

LOGAN 5 said:
Found out today that new(ish) - that means 4 months of use - Stumpy Expert needs a new shock - courtesy of a warranty job thank god. Apparently there's a problem with the shocks and negative/positive air (bike shop speak!) and the seals going. so it's back to the mantufactuer to reconfigure the shock.

A friend of mine demo'd one of those and had the same shock problem. Hope you get it all sorted out.

U

User482

A thin smear of coppaslip on the back of the pads worked for me. If that doesn't work, the mounts probably need facing as Barq said.

jay clock

Massive member
I had the same problem, and solved it by this method....

Have a look at the pads and see how they are spaced either side of the disk. If not perfectly spaced, remove the bit that holds the pads (held on with 2 allen bolts and put washer(s) in to move it across. Or you may need to remove washers. You can buy special thin washers for this purpose, but i got some from a pot of washers I keep. Worked a treat

Top Bottom