Hows this for a 10 year old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Its impressive isnt it :smile: Last week i took my 9 1/2 year old nephew out for his first 10 miler, took him 1hr 14 so fairly similar and like you I was very impressed. Ive got a 15 miler planned for when he gets back from holiday too :smile:

jackm

I have a friend who has been taking her son out on charity rides of about 45 miles each for the past three years. He is now 10 years old. He manages on a heavy Apollo Mtb and gets up every hill!! We average about 12-13 mph on these rides.

an 8-year old rode the 50 mile route on the Tour of Pembrokeshire earlier this year - got round with an av of about 13mph, according to the results.... :smile:

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
To both Jackm and B&Y, this is the first time he has even ridden on the roads properly, his road sense is very poor, his attention span when trying to explain things is very limited as he suffers from mild learning difficulties, so the only way I could teach him is by taking him out on the roads (don't fret extremely quite) and making sure he learns to observe indicate and position correctly. When he had finished he wasn't, as jumpy about traffic (the few that did pass us), he still has a lot to learn.
I guess if he had come from any sort of cycling background as the two you both mention, these things would have already been ingrained in him, and also be able to mange greater distances, remember this was his first ride of any distance, beyond going to the local shops on the pavements (as far as I know), and his bike needed to be adjusted for him, the front brakes needed adjustment and air in the tyres, so I was really starting from scratch with him, so the comparison with MrJamie, is a better one.
Having said that well done those two youngsters, much better than I can do, but then again I have only been back on a bike in the last 6 weeks, there are reasons I want to get better and they are not really to do with fitness, though I have to get that first, because I will be carrying some weight on the bike.
If your interested to see my reasons take a look at these, Flickriver so I will be carry some weight, once I get my avg speed with the panniers I carry with the weight thats in them upto about 15mph over 25-30 miles then I can start doing stuff further a field.

Sandra6

Veteran
I'm impressed.
My 10 year old can do a similar distance, but with a break in the middle and it can take well over an hour!
In fact it takes me the best part of an hour to do 10 miles!

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
I'm impressed.
My 10 year old can do a similar distance, but with a break in the middle and it can take well over an hour!
In fact it takes me the best part of an hour to do 10 miles!
Forgot to mention we had a brief break too. Sandra you live in a much hilly area than I do. I have a short 10m ride thats down hill for the most part then up hill for the way back Womersley 10m Loop, I then have a 20m loop (which I very a little) but the first part is much the same then flat for about 9 miles before the climb back, the climb is only 130ft over 5 miles Whitley 20m. Last time I did the last one I did an avg of 13mph.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
I'd also say this; bravo Nigel for encouraging the lad out onto the bike aswell!

I still remember very fondly the first few times my dad took me out to learn the roadcraft outside of our quiet little cul-de-sac at about the same age; the steady encouragement, the gentle re-assurement from behind when I got nervy of cars coming up on us, the sharp rebukes when I strayed too far out or missed a zebra crossing in my zeal... and getting home feeling completely worn out, but extremely proud that I had averaged 10mph over a 10 mile distance.

Those rides truely were the keystone for what has turned into a good love-affair with the saddle - it may have taken a back seat at times in the past, but never truely diminished. I'm positive that my attitude towards cycling now just wouldnt exist if it hadn't been for those early rides.

Regretfully, now-a-days, getting the ol' man out is a no-go. I'm "too fast", ride "too far", look to cycle up "far too many hills" and "don't stop off at anywhere near enough pubs". :laugh:

I digress. I hope your nephew (and MrJamies for that matter) both thoroughly enjoyed it and were proud of their achievements! :thumbsup:

Sandra6

Veteran
Forgot to mention we had a brief break too. Sandra you live in a much hilly area than I do. I have a short 10m ride thats down hill for the most part then up hill for the way back Womersley 10m Loop, I then have a 20m loop (which I very a little) but the first part is much the same then flat for about 9 miles before the climb back, the climb is only 130ft over 5 miles Whitley 20m. Last time I did the last one I did an avg of 13mph.

I avoid the hills! We have a lovely cycle path along the river which is where the children do most of their cycling, and with the youngest in tow (she's 7) it can take us an hour to do four miles on the flat!

Top Bottom