HR monitor = Bike Computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisBD

I'm looking for some advise on a new HR monitor or computer.

For years now I've been using a bog basic Polar which measures just my active HR with a pretty basic Catye computer on the MTB.

For a while I've been looking and keep getting drawn towards the garmin Forerunner toys, even though they are not really what I want (I have a watch fetish, with a number of altimiter type Suunto, Protrek pieces....) but have not found what I think ticks all the boxes.

In essance I would like one pice that can-

Tell the time
Stopwatch
Current / Active HR
Time in trg zone
Cals used

.....and if this was to be in the form of a computer not watch-

Speed
Distance
etc.....

Any ideas? I guess for me Time is actually the least important function, if it were all on a computer then I would still wear a watch...

Thanks in advance....

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Garmin Edge 500?

Or if you want something cheaper, Cateye do one with all the normal computer/cadence computer functions with added HR monitor.

OP
OP
ChrisBD

ChrisBD

Rob3rt said:
Garmin Edge 500?

Or if you want something cheaper, Cateye do one with all the normal computer/cadence computer functions with added HR monitor.

The Edge 500 looks good; anyone use one?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I use one. Its very good. TBH not much to really comment, it does everything a normal computer does, plus HR and also has cadence and GPS. Just a good solid unit. Also supports some power meters to should you care to add one at a later date.

Its pretty much only lacking in full mapping. You can pre-program routes, but it doesnt provide street view mapping, just a breadcrumb. Which imo is adequite since riding a bike is an adventure to some people anyway so it gives you chance to veer of course a bit and then just head back to the dotted line when you feel like it. I used this feature to navigate Vienna back in May with no hiccups. Often use it to find my way around the suburbs of Manchester to find places. Needs some foresight (i.e. plotting map online and transfering route course file to the device) but works well.

Only annoying thing is sitting waiting for it to get a signal before setting off, the progress line is a total tease ;)

OP
OP
ChrisBD

ChrisBD

TBH that sounds just the pice of kit; with a mapping facility it really would be the dogs...

Bike computer w GPS facility and HR WITH cals function = perfect!

OP
OP
ChrisBD

ChrisBD

Rob3rt said:
The 705 and other models include mapping. Not sure of the cost comparison.

Just looked; 705 has mapping and HR but no cals (?) and 606 has mapping but no HR facility.....

Think the 500 has the....erm...."Edge"...sorry....:smile:

Top Bottom