HR zone calculation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
I've read different ways of calculating zones - percentage of HR max, and percentage of HR max taking resting heart rate into account.

So HR max of 180 and resting rate of 60, the first method puts my 75% HR at 135, the second method at 150.

I get up to 150bpm on a bike fairly easily so is that the correct method to use? 135bpm seems very low.

I've read different ways of calculating zones - percentage of HR max, and percentage of HR max taking resting heart rate into account.

So HR max of 180 and resting rate of 60, the first method puts my 75% HR at 135, the second method at 150.

I get up to 150bpm on a bike fairly easily so is that the correct method to use? 135bpm seems very low.
Forget HR. We have power now.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I did one ride with an HR monitor and just want to gauge what zones I was in at different points, as it seemed to coincide with perceived effort, which is good enough for me to pace my rides for now.

screenman

Legendary Member
I did one ride with an HR monitor and just want to gauge what zones I was in at different points, as it seemed to coincide with perceived effort, which is good enough for me to pace my rides for now.

Not sure what that means, how will you know 80% of mhr if you do not know that number.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I don't have nor can afford a power meter.
HR will be plenty useful enough to get you going with some structured training/workouts.

Whatever method you use to determine your thresholds/brackets, just think about how you’ll measure improvement. In my experience it’s the noticeable improvement that provides the motivation to continue with the training.
Most people measure power for workouts and test power to measure improvement but HR will work for the workouts, but think about how you’ll measure the improvement. Maybe your time on a particular route/climb/segment?

screenman

Legendary Member
Read some books by Peter Read.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Not sure what that means, how will you know 80% of mhr if you do not know that number.

e.g. one section was a constant 150bpm, I'd like to know what zone that was in based on max heart rate of 220-42= 178bpm. It's an estimate but good enough for my needs. On my sprint I couldn't get higher than 173bpm and highest attainable heart rates for cycling tend to be lower than for running.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
HR will be plenty useful enough to get you going with some structured training/workouts.

Whatever method you use to determine your thresholds/brackets, just think about how you’ll measure improvement. In my experience it’s the noticeable improvement that provides the motivation to continue with the training.
Most people measure power for workouts and test power to measure improvement but HR will work for the workouts, but think about how you’ll measure the improvement. Maybe your time on a particular route/climb/segment?

Thanks, it's more about having a benchmark for sustainable effort at the moment but I might get more in depth later on.

screenman

Legendary Member
e.g. one section was a constant 150bpm, I'd like to know what zone that was in based on max heart rate of 220-42= 178bpm. It's an estimate but good enough for my needs. On my sprint I couldn't get higher than 173bpm and highest attainable heart rates for cycling tend to be lower than for running.

220-age was shown to be wrong many years ago, I can hold 172 on the bike For a short while, in fact higher and that at nearly 64.

220-Age is bullsh1t. Pre op by that formula I would have been a 19 year old by the formula and post op the formula would have me a 24 year old just now (hopefully it's just me being conservative on rides). I actually a 44 year old.
Ignore the formulae and find some big long hills or do a Turbo session and see what you hit regularly and go off that.

Top Bottom