HS2 - is that 2 bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
The FNRttC threads regularly expose the under provision of cycle spaces on trains. Of course cycling is supposed to be becoming more popular and much of the rolling stock was provisioned at a time when some thought cars would kill(?) cycling. So are things changing?

Not in this part of London.

Southern is quite good at having SOME provision and turning a blind eye when it is inadequate. Sadly some of our Southern services have been replaced by London Overground with their spiffing new Bombardier stock.

I remember at the launch of the Overground Project they made great play that we would be allowed to take our bikes on outside peak periods. Good.

"How many spaces"
"Errr - none"
"Why?"
"Oh the layout (nearly all standing) makes it impossible"
"Have you had a look at how Copenhagen with very similar layouts have a neat way of securing bikes?"
"Errr - NO"

That's it - they can write a nice policy but provision isn't even thought through. Bit like the British way of doing cycle lanes.

So Dave C is going to blow 17 billion of our dosh on HS2 to build and give away our investment to his banker friends. Well they have probably blown the killing they made on the British Rail rolling stock privatisation and need a little help.

The question is - will the HS2 passenger provision include some realistic, affordable and bookable space?

Anybody know if it came up in the consultation?

jonesy

Guru
I'd be surprised if a detailed aspect of internal design like that has been considered to any great extent at this stage. Procurement of the trains themselves is years away, even if the scheme goes ahead and follows the current timetable. However, I expect the trains will follow the current trend for having distributed traction throughout the carriages, rather than a dedicated locomotive at each end, so there will be passengers in the leading coach which will presumably require a safety crumple zone between the driving cab and the passengers, e.g. like the Voyager and Pendolino, which is space that ought to be available for cycle storage if thought about early enough in the design process.

OP
OP
StuartG

StuartG

slower but further
Thanks for that Jonesy. I guess I'm angling for someone with the parliamentary knowledge to get a commitment written into the legislation like what was done for the Dartford Bridge. Done at the right time when they need to get it through might get us a nice result.

But if the eyes are off the ball and the design goes through without aforethought then we lose it for a generation. Again.

Who should we nobble when?

On high speed trains? Doubt it if Spain is anything to go by. You aren't allowed to put bikes on high speed trains there due to 'health and safety' reasons. That said they didn't notice my foldable bike in its bag even after putting it through a metal detector.

You can imagine how worried I was when I realised what their policy was. Silly me, I should have checked this out properly before leaving for Spain.

Taking bicycles on AVE
You can’t take bikes on any high speed long distance day trains in Spain, including AVE trains, even in a bike bag. So if you are planning on taking a bike on the train in Spain you’ll need to look at taking alternative overnight, regional, local or suburban trains which do carry bikes.

Phone our call centre or visit the Rail Europe Travel Centre in London for advice on travelling with bikes.

Alternatively, why not leave your bike at home and rent one when you get there?

http://www.raileurop...aspx?tabid=1691

Richard Mann

I'd be surprised if a detailed aspect of internal design like that has been considered to any great extent at this stage. Procurement of the trains themselves is years away, even if the scheme goes ahead and follows the current timetable. However, I expect the trains will follow the current trend for having distributed traction throughout the carriages, rather than a dedicated locomotive at each end, so there will be passengers in the leading coach which will presumably require a safety crumple zone between the driving cab and the passengers, e.g. like the Voyager and Pendolino, which is space that ought to be available for cycle storage if thought about early enough in the design process.

The crumple zone will probably be less on new trains - Voyager and Pendo designers over-egged it to derisk the acceptance process.

ICE3s have passengers right behind the driver.

Top Bottom