Hub brake on the rear axel of a delta style tricycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Antuny

Regular
Can anyone point me in the direction of website/info that would tell me how to strip down and renovate the rear hub brake fitted to the axel of a tricycle?
Many thanks, Antuny

Big John

Guru
YouTube but you need to know the make of the hub. There's bound to be a video on there I reckon. I found several that tell you how to service a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub and doubt I'd have managed it without them. YouTube has its uses 👍

OP
OP
Antuny

Antuny

Regular
YouTube but you need to know the make of the hub. There's bound to be a video on there I reckon. I found several that tell you how to service a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub and doubt I'd have managed it without them. YouTube has its uses 👍

Thank you. This doesn't look like the hub I have on the axel. I'll post a photo but nevertheless your response is appreciated. Antuny

Big John

Guru
You can 'go solo' if you're brave enough and mechanically minded. If you choose to have a go make sure you keep the parts layed out on a board in the order you took them off otherwise you'll never get it back together. That principal worked when I did a Sturmey Archer 3 speed anyway. These seemingly 'impossible' jobs are doable with a bit of help off the internet.

A lot will depend on what make of hub brake has been used… a photo might help. My Ken Rogers has a Sachs drum brake which looks pretty near identical to the Sturmey Archer equivalent, though I haven’t found out yet if the main parts (chiefly brake shoes) are interchangeable. The good thing about hub brakes is that unless the linings get contaminated with oil, they last pretty much forever!

OP
OP
Antuny

Antuny

Regular

Hi Big John Photo attached of hub brake - should have posted this with my original query.

Attachments

• B5A74A03-84DA-4C63-81A2-57E37B2D1D33.jpeg
    B5A74A03-84DA-4C63-81A2-57E37B2D1D33.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Antuny

Antuny

Regular
These might cover it. Tricycle will just have a longer axle:

View: https://youtu.be/5x28XzNg-AA

View: https://youtu.be/f5ZOu_I9KPk

Hi Cycleops, Should have provided this photo with my original post.

Attachments

• B5A74A03-84DA-4C63-81A2-57E37B2D1D33.jpeg
    B5A74A03-84DA-4C63-81A2-57E37B2D1D33.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 2

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Do the rear wheels rotate independently or are they locked on a solid axle? From your photo it looks like the latter, unless one or both wheels has a freewheel in the hub.

CharleyFarley

Can anyone point me in the direction of website/info that would tell me how to strip down and renovate the rear hub brake fitted to the axel of a tricycle?
Many thanks, Antuny
You said the brake is fitted to the axle. That suggests a band brake. Is it on the axle, itself? A photo of it would be useful. [Update] Okay, I found your photo. That's a band brake. To replace the whole thing, the axle has to be pulled.

I had cause to repair a friend's trike on which the freewheel had failed. It meant removing a wheel and pulling the axle after I had slackened the freewheel and other bits. While I was at it I adjusted the band brake. The reason I did the repair was because two bike shops said they can't do it. I'd never worked on one, before, so I was delving into something that might have gone wrong. I told the friend that if I break it, I won't be responsible for it, and she agreed. So after buying a new freewheel at a LBS, I had it back together in under two hours.

And, of course, I may be completely wrong in my assessment of what you want, but in case I'm not, here's a video of how to repair a hub-mounted band brake, but it's on a bike, not a trike. Same kind of device, though. You may have to remove the axle to remove the band brake. Perhaps I should have made a video of the freewheel and band brake job, because I couldn't find one on how to replace the band brake on a trike axle. I hope you have better luck than I in finding a bike shop that will work on a trike band brake and freewheel if you can't do the job yourself.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDar28ijSCY

Last edited:
OP
OP
Antuny

Antuny

Regular
You can 'go solo' if you're brave enough and mechanically minded. If you choose to have a go make sure you keep the parts layed out on a board in the order you took them off otherwise you'll never get it back together. That principal worked when I did a Sturmey Archer 3 speed anyway. These seemingly 'impossible' jobs are doable with a bit of help off the internet.

Thank you

Top Bottom