Hub brake on the rear axel of a delta style tricycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Antuny

Antuny

Regular
You said the brake is fitted to the axle. That suggests a band brake. Is it on the axle, itself? A photo of it would be useful. [Update] Okay, I found your photo. That's a band brake. To replace the whole thing, the axle has to be pulled.

I had cause to repair a friend's trike on which the freewheel had failed. It meant removing a wheel and pulling the axle after I had slackened the freewheel and other bits. While I was at it I adjusted the band brake. The reason I did the repair was because two bike shops said they can't do it. I'd never worked on one, before, so I was delving into something that might have gone wrong. I told the friend that if I break it, I won't be responsible for it, and she agreed. So after buying a new freewheel at a LBS, I had it back together in under two hours.

And, of course, I may be completely wrong in my assessment of what you want, but in case I'm not, here's a video of how to repair a hub-mounted band brake, but it's on a bike, not a trike. Same kind of device, though. You may have to remove the axle to remove the band brake. Perhaps I should have made a video of the freewheel and band brake job, because I couldn't find one on how to replace the band brake on a trike axle. I hope you have better luck than I in finding a bike shop that will work on a trike band brake and freewheel if you can't do the job yourself.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDar28ijSCY

More thanks - a band brake. Now I know what I’m dealing with

OP
OP
Antuny

Antuny

Regular
Slightly different video to the first, with a second one following on which may be of interest.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k3F6xJvqz8s

Thank you

OP
OP
Antuny

Antuny

Regular
You said the brake is fitted to the axle. That suggests a band brake. Is it on the axle, itself? A photo of it would be useful. [Update] Okay, I found your photo. That's a band brake. To replace the whole thing, the axle has to be pulled.

I had cause to repair a friend's trike on which the freewheel had failed. It meant removing a wheel and pulling the axle after I had slackened the freewheel and other bits. While I was at it I adjusted the band brake. The reason I did the repair was because two bike shops said they can't do it. I'd never worked on one, before, so I was delving into something that might have gone wrong. I told the friend that if I break it, I won't be responsible for it, and she agreed. So after buying a new freewheel at a LBS, I had it back together in under two hours.

And, of course, I may be completely wrong in my assessment of what you want, but in case I'm not, here's a video of how to repair a hub-mounted band brake, but it's on a bike, not a trike. Same kind of device, though. You may have to remove the axle to remove the band brake. Perhaps I should have made a video of the freewheel and band brake job, because I couldn't find one on how to replace the band brake on a trike axle. I hope you have better luck than I in finding a bike shop that will work on a trike band brake and freewheel if you can't do the job yourself.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDar28ijSCY

Thank you. A band brake confirmed by others also so that is great. The near side rear wheel spins freely and the offside rear wheel is fixed to the axel and drives the bike. I think by removing both wheels and slackening off the grub screws securing the freewheel hub and also the band brake I should be able to alive the axel out. Thanks for your help with this

Top Bottom