Hub choice for single speed 26" wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Percy

Wouldn't mind some thoughts/opinions, please.

My commuter is an old mountain bike that's had a hack job done to convert it into single speed - single cog and spacer washers on the cassette freewheel at the back and the two smaller chainrings taken off the front. I like riding single speed and the bike needs a serious overhaul so I'm doing various things to it (bull bars mentioned in another thread) including getting some new wheels. This obviously throws up the decision of what style hub to get. As far as I can tell, I have three options:

a - A flip flop hub. I quite like the idea of having a fixed option as well but it seems you can't buy ready-made wheels to this spec (26" with FF hub (can you?!)). I have no problem with buying the componenet parts (hubs, rims etc) and getting someone to make them up for me (I would like to do it myself actually but I don't have the gear, or the time, at the mo). This seems the expensive option.

b - Get the rear wheel with a threaded hub and stick on a single speed freewheel.

c - Get a newer version of what I currently have; a cassette freewheel and do the same spacer/washer bodge on the back.

A and B seem the purer options, and I am leaning towards them for that reason, but am I likely to encounter problems lining up the chain with the front chainring? How would I determine BB axle length? I should mention I also plan to fit a new single speed front chainring - not a cheap thing to do, if my reseach is telling the truth. This is the sort of thing I'm looking at:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31622

Regarding the wheels, I don't necessarily want the lightest, best quality I can get, but something a little above bottom end. I've had a look around and am finding it hard to find any on the websites that aren't cassette freewheel with disc brake fittings.

Any suggestions as to which type of hub, where to buy the wheels, which front chainring to get...pretty much everything...very welcome.

Cheers

Percy

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
only one option for me.....hope technologies. i just love that loud clicking noise and the amazing customer service.

RedBike

Most mtbs have 135mm spaced rear hubs but track hubs are only 120mm spaced

You can get 135mm spaced dedicated single speed hubs. In fact the wheels i'm selling on ebay now are exactly that. However, your choice of hubs is extremely limited and to the best of my knowledge they are all relatively expensive.
aka http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=11034

The most cost effective option is to stick to a standard MTB wheel complete with a 6 bolt disc fitting. (Be sure that the rim accepts a brake).
You can then use a single speed converter on one side and bolt a velo cog to the disc mount on the other to have the bike fixed wheel.

I can't help you with the crankset. I always used to just covert a standard MTB chainset. Track /single speed chainsets seem to have really short crank lengths 165/170 so you can spin a high cadence. When MTBing I always wanted as much leverage as I could get so I stuck with 175mm arms.

Top Bottom