Hub Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_s81

Über Member
I recently picked up a pair of Soul S4.0 Aluminium clinchers for the Planet X Carbon bike. When coupled with Michelin Pro Race 3 my average speed had increased nicely! However, I was out on a 60 miler yesterday and about 10 miles from home there seems to be slippage in the drive train when I stopped pedalling and started again, as well as the chain losing tension with the jockey wheel being lifted up. Anyway, to cut a long story short I got home ok and took a closer look. It appeared that the clicking you would normally expect when pedalling backwards had gone (maybe not bad thing), but there was a delay in the hub taking up drive when I pedalled forward. Some googling later and it appeared to be related to the pawls (or their springs) in the hub. I emailed the guy who I bought the wheels off and he said it may be the pawl spring and he would send me one.

So after much googling I've arrived at the stage where the end caps are off, but I'm at a loss on where to go. I tried to use the 10mm allen key to remove the hub bolt(s) but I don't seem to be getting anywhere outside of destroying the bolts. I've attached a couple of pics hoping that some of you knowledgeable people on here will be able to advise on what to do next!

In this photo, is that the cartridge bearing at the front? If so, does it need to be removed before the hub bolts go?

HPIM4060.jpg

HPIM4061.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

mr_s81

Über Member
Any ideas?

Top Bottom