hubs and spoke patterns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i have a joytech hub on a vuelta wheel where the rim is concave and a spoke has broken. i intend to keep the hub and possibly marry it to an alex rim i have spare.

the spoke pattern on the vuelta wheel was nicer than the one in the alex wheel, so will marrying them up be impossible using the spokes from the alex wheel? from memory the alex wheel had more spokes than the vuelta wheel; will it matter that there are some empty spoke holes?

i'm going to use this as my first toe into the wheel building water, using a pair of old alu forks as a guide.

ta in advance ;)

It's hard enough building a wheel with complimentary hub/rim as it is,so I would go for a correctly spoked new rim. That way you can tighten each nipple the required equal number of turns to bring the wheel into a reasonable tension.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
No No - You must have the same number of holes in the rim and the hub really.

I'm about to do something similar but will need to do the counts first.

Can you not just replace the broken spoke and re-true?

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
no point, as i have run out of the extra spokes that came with the wheelset and, more crucially, i was going to junk the wheel after the winter anyway as the rim is well past its best and concave enough for the cat to drink out of.

i have another wheel to replace it, the only bugger being that it is very difficult to remove the vittoria rubinos i am fond of using in the event of a puncture.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
alecstilleyedye said:
no point, as i have run out of the extra spokes that came with the wheelset and, more crucially, i was going to junk the wheel after the winter anyway as the rim is well past its best and concave enough for the cat to drink out of.

i have another wheel to replace it, the only bugger being that it is very difficult to remove the vittoria rubinos i am fond of using in the event of a puncture.

Hmmmmph - I've just put a pair of these on front and rear. I didn't know they were that difficult to remove. What rim have you got them on? Mine are on Open Pros. They went on OK..........

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
alecstilleyedye said:
i wouldn't worry unduly 26x25, the rigid tyres went on fine with some rims, just awkward on one. if you've got the folding versions, they are a lot easier.

Thanks I'll only engage my worry gland if the problem arises. They are the wired beads tho'..... :biggrin:

BTW - if building a wheel for the first time it's a good idea to have a similar wheel (same spoke no.) to copy. Or failing that take a pic of the one you are about to dismantle.

I do wheels so infrequently that I still need my "copy wheel" to hand.

Top Bottom