Huffy Techtra Lite Roadbike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cvasco

I've recently been looking for a road bike to commute. A friend of mine is selling a this Huffy Techtra Lite road bike. Is it any good? I've been trying to find information on the brand and bike itself but can't find much of anything. I am looking for a good bike that will last me a long time, but I am not sure if this bike is worthy or not. I've had mountain bikes before, due to where I used to live, but I don't know much about road bikes. I'd appreciate the honest help. Thanks!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Hi, I suspect that you may have more luck on a US forum, Cyclechat is chiefly a UK site and Huffy is AFAIK not a brand we're that familiar with over this side of the pond.

Having said that the only info I can find seems to indicate that they're primarily a chainstore brand, sold in places like Walmart and Toys R Us. I'm going to guess that this means a heavy low end steel or alloy frame fitted with very cheap components and poor wheels. I may be wrong... but that sums up 90% of the bik box store bikes.

There are some good used bikes out there, but you either need to know what your doing, or have a trusted purveyor of second hand bikes (don't think @biggs682 has a transatlantic office yet). TBH as a relative newby I'd be sorely tempted to go see your LBS (local bike shop) and see what he has to offer. You don't need to spend a fortune to get something decent, The entry level bikes from all the "proper" bike makers (Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc) are relatively affordable and will be a much better bet than some low rent unknown from a toy shop..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As far as I know Huffy are a major US brand, I see a lot of them down here but they seem mostly cheaper types. Here's the Techtra:
IMG_0837.JPG

It doesn't seem like a higher quality bike with the one piece steel crank and plastic pedals but if it's going for a bargain price why not. I think you could do a lot better if you look around. I've got a very nice Schwinn from the same period and it's my favourite bike. Picked up here for about $100.
2014-05-13 18.47.29.jpg

Have a look on YouTube at R J The Bike Guy's channel:

View: https://youtu.be/WdTp6oxfMSA

He seems to be able to pick up some great vintage bike bargains and you could pick up some tips. When you find one post it on here for an appraisal.

@Gravity Aided is one of our stateside members who might be able to help you out.

Good luck

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Found this on a different forum, from 12 years ago!!

"The TectraLite is a late-'80s department store bike.

Definitely lower-end, but they do very well as all-around commuters. The beauty of these 80's department-store models are that they actually work reasonably well, compared to the pitiful rubbish being sold at the stores now.

Parts are usually dirt cheap for bikes likie this - a plus - and you can singlespeed 'em easily with a chainwheel from a cheap beach cruiser and a BMX freewheel.

I believe the TectraLite did come with alloy Araya hook-bead rims, which are a very nice plus, affording you the ability to put high-pressure tyres on it. Most of these X-Mart bikes came with cheap steel rims, so you're quite a ways ahead here.

My only complaint with these heavy, mass-produced Huffy steel frames is the whippyness of them, due to weak welds at the tubing joints."

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Normally, an Armstrong, or 1 piece crank, is a sign of far greater sins against cycling. Also, this may , due to the picture I am seeing, have one of those setups where the crank freewheeled rather than the cog, Shimano FFS. I stay away from Huffys, you could get an old rigid MTB from a better maker that would serve you better, and be easier to ride.

Top Bottom