Huge toothed cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
What do I need to run one?
I'm currently running a 12-36t cassette on the bike using a standard cage deore rear mech. That's rated to 34t but seems fine with the 36.
I'm planning on sticking an 11-42 or 46t cassette on. I know I'll need a longer chain and a hanger extender at the very least. But I'm wondering if the extender will give me enough reach for the 46t if I go that route.
Please tell me I won't need one of those shadow rear mechs...

si_c

Guru
I've done it with a 10sp deore rear mech and a sunrace extender, run a 46t easily. Shifting isn't quite as smooth as the mech does sit further out from the cassette in smaller sprockets.

Works fine though.

Jameshow

Veteran
Guy hasn't bitten the hook yet?!!!

davidphilips

Veteran
Had to goggle 46 tooth cassette, TBH thought you guys where having fun as never even knew a cassette like this existed? Thats really extreme and at 46 teeth its as big as many a chainring? Perhaps a silly question but who would use one?

rualexander

Legendary Member
Had to goggle 46 tooth cassette, TBH thought you guys where having fun as never even knew a cassette like this existed? Thats really extreme and at 46 teeth its as big as many a chainring? Perhaps a silly question but who would use one?

Standard on mountain bikes now is 50 or 52 tooth largest rear sprocket, 46 is a good few years old now

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've got a 42 on the 1x11 bike that I keep in Devon. I can get up most Devon hills in the 42/42 bottom gear but I did find a potholed, gravelly stretch of 25% that defeated me. I reckon I could have ridden up it in a 42/46 gear!

Top Bottom