Hula-hooping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Does anyone do this?

I heard a radio article about hula hooping as exercise/sport and it sounds like the sort of thing that can be done virtually anywhere provided you've got a hoop.

Seems that it might be good for core strength. The radio piece was talking to people who do it competitively and can do alsorts of things at the same time - including dressing & undressing! I don't think I'd want to go that far.

I remember having a hoop when I was a kid and being absolutely hopeless at it. However, I was hopless at anything remotely athletic - and soon lost interest!

From a little research it looks like it's important to get the right size & weight of hoop. I'm wondering about taking a couple of classes to see how I get on.

Any thoughts?

I am afraid my limit in this field is opening the packet...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I like eating them

IMG_3460.JPG

pauldavid

Veteran
This is an activity best not done naked if your male.

The sight of your jangling jewellery can divert attention from your hoop control.

Well, that's what the wife's friend said at our new year party anyway!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
At the risk of going on topic here, my daughter used one to get herself back into shape after her 2nd child. It's surprisingly heavy - I've not tried it but I've picked it up and it must weigh a kilo - and the inside is sort of wavy so it's doing a bit of flesh pummelling as it goes round. It seems to have done the trick. I'll ask her whether there was any guidance on using it and on size and weight if you like. And, unlike the zumba stuff first time round, it doesn't need a drive to the class.

EDIT: I see that the powerhoop ones can have weights added - mind, they're pricy for a circular lump of nylon.

Last edited:

Lullabelle

Banana
This is an activity best not done naked if your male.

The sight of your jangling jewellery can divert attention from your hoop control.

Well, that's what the wife's friend said at our new year party anyway!

:laugh:

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
At the risk of going on topic here, my daughter used one to get herself back into shape after her 2nd child. It's surprisingly heavy - I've not tried it but I've picked it up and it must weigh a kilo - and the inside is sort of wavy so it's doing a bit of flesh pummelling as it goes round. It seems to have done the trick. I'll ask her whether there was any guidance on using it and on size and weight if you like. And, unlike the zumba stuff first time round, it doesn't need a drive to the class.

EDIT: I see that the powerhoop ones can have weights added - mind, they're pricy for a circular lump of nylon.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of the powerhoop so that's something else to look at.

[QUOTE 3457426, member: 259"]Someone I used to work with who left to become a Pilates instructor and who does ironmans (ironmen?), and who occadsionally swoops past me on her folding bike, used to recommend it as a good exercise so I bet it's legit. I just can't co-ordinate myself enough to do it. :sad:[/QUOTE]

I can't get to my Pilates class now so that's one reason I was looking at this. I fear a lack of co-ordination may be my problem too!

Top Bottom