Hull Cycle Manufacturer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am trying to discover if Hull has ever had a cycle manufacturer. I know there was Humber cycles, but they were made in Nottingham and Elswick cycles were made in Brigg on the other side of the River Humber.

I am originally from Hull and would like to find a Hull made touring bike. If such a thing exists.

midlife

Guru
Hi

Cliff Pratt (Spring Bank) made their own frames to order and also bought them in to sell as their own. They stopped building in the late 60's I think. They are pretty rare even in Hull, I had one but it was nicked in the mid 70's :sad: Ken Elleker never made frames IIRC.

When Falcon stopped making frames a couple of builders set up in Hull but folded pretty quickly and I can't remember their name......

Shaun

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I didnt know Cliff Pratt made frames. I can only find one on the internet and that is a very fine Ladies bike. I see Cliff Pratts are still operating and expanding on Spring Bank. They have been continually trading for over 80 years.

I doubt if I will find one of their bikes but I will keep looking.

midlife

Guru
I worked at Cliff Pratt's in the 70's. The frame making kit was in the basement along with a painting booth. Although frame making had stopped by then there was still all the tubes,lugs, bottom brackets, gas/air, jigs tucked away in the corner Blimey it must have been hot down there to work!
While I was there the next door house became vacant and was acquired for extra storage.

Cliff himself came in an afternoon a week to do the books and the shop was owned by Byran and Ada Loukes.

The shop has a mention in Classic Lightweights.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/cliff-pratt.html

Best of luck finding one :smile:

Shaun

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
I believe Pete Dunn from Cottingham used to build his own Racing frames, quite a few years ago, not sure about Tourers though.
Pete has retired now but still does the odd Saturday shift in the shop his son runs.

nonowt

Über Member

docludi

I am trying to discover if Hull has ever had a cycle manufacturer. I know there was Humber cycles, but they were made in Nottingham and Elswick cycles were made in Brigg on the other side of the River Humber.

I am originally from Hull and would like to find a Hull made touring bike. If such a thing exists.

I came upon this while trying to find out myself. There was a Victorian Hull chap called 'Robert Barker' who manufactured bicycles. As far as my research has got the company was probably called 'Atkinsons'. Let me know what you find out.

Attachments

• Atkinson Bicycle works.jpg
    Atkinson Bicycle works.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom