Humber Bridge closed to cycling and pedestrians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Why is the bridge is being blamed? I can understand extra measures such as fencing etc.

Any life lost is tragic but this sort of reporting should be stopped.
I have little experience (thankfully) in this area but I suspect that blaming inanimate objects and outsiders is a way of rationalising the unthinkable.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
The Fridays cycling club follows this with interest. We have an overnight ride from York to Hull and go northwards over this bridge at about 5.30am, from memory. As some in this conversation know well, as they've been with us. It won't happen this year but will probably happen next year, maybe in July. Maybe. But interesting to follow this thread which seems to be the authoritative source. Thanks, all.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
The Fridays cycling club follows this with interest. We have an overnight ride from York to Hull and go northwards over this bridge at about 5.30am, from memory. As some in this conversation know well, as they've been with us. It won't happen this year but will probably happen next year, maybe in July. Maybe. But interesting to follow this thread which seems to be the authoritative source. Thanks, all.
Latest...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-57184890

Slioch

Guru
Just for info, I crossed the bridge last week travelling N to S. The Western footpath was open. After all the hoohaa I thought there might be additional signage etc in place, but there was nothing out of the ordinary. Very much BAU with plenty of walkers and cyclists.
The gates they'd use to close the path at 9pm are waist height so easy to lift your bike over, although there is cctv and I suspect rule-breakers may be met by a reception committee at the far end (if they have the resources available).

Drago

Legendary Member
Duncan Dollimore, Cycling UK’s head of campaigns, commented: “For over a month the Humber Bridge has been closed to all pedestrians, and anyone cycling except those commuter cyclists who managed to get through a cumbersome registration process, so the reopening is welcome progress. But the tragic loss of life along the bridge has been a chronic problem for more than a decade, requiring investment in long-term infrastructure and intervention measures. Banning people on foot or a bike from crossing the bridge was only ever a knee-jerk reaction which didn’t address the causes or long-term solutions.

"Cycling UK hopes that the Humber Bridge Board will at last recognise the importance of maintaining cycle and pedestrian access whilst improving suicide prevention measures, and if they must have a registration system for people to cross out of hours, make it simple and easily accessible, with registration and other restrictions being time limited rather than permanent."
Its displacement, a classic knee-jerk tactic.

Of course, filling out a form and pre-registereing does nothing to protect the vulnerable. If you can fill out a form, you can still jump. Making life difficult for normal folk instead of addressing the actual problem is very much the British way.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom