Humber experts please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkN5075

Hello All, I have recently been lucky enough to fall in love with an old Humber which I am hoping to restore to its original glory. I am in need of some advice in relation to the bottom bearing race on the twin fork..... is it suppose to come off ? It appears to be plastic so I'm reluctant to use too much force before I know it definitely comes off. Further to this, are replacements easy enough to come by? I THINK it's a 1940s sports roaster? Thanks Mark

Attachments

• 16313319849543435748696137700746.jpg
    16313319849543435748696137700746.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 9

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It must be removable but you need to take care.

You might be interested to know that MonkeyShred on YouTube has done some restorations on these types of bike which may be of use.

Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Unlikely to be plastic - have never known a plastic crown race ever. They are knocked into place using a crown race setting tool so can be tight. Your LBS should have a pukka crown race removal tool - so yuo could ask them nicely along with cake and biscuits. If not all yuo can do is very gentyl prise it up a little at a time moving round a little each time until it pops off. Take care and be patient if you do that

Big John

Guru
Daft question but why are you taking it off? Is it pitted? If so then finding a pukka replacement may not be easy but if it's still looking good then I'd leave well alone.

OP
OP
MarkN5075

MarkN5075

Hi John, i am doing a full resto on the bike. I am hoping to remove it to get the crown cover plate underneath off to re chrome it.

Top Bottom