Humber serial numbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hello, I'm trying to find a list of serial numbers for the first generation of Humber bikes, i.e. from before Raleigh took them over in 1932.

I can find a list up until 1900 and then the Raleigh one, but nothing in between. I am trying to date a frame, so any info would be appreciated, thanks.

tyred

Legendary Member
I can't help but would be interested to know if you find a list of Humber serial numbers as I would like to date mine as well.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I got a rather snotty reply from the guy selling that 1905 Woman's bike through the online museum to join the Vintage Cyclist Club (or whatever it's called) and find out from there. Yeah, thanks!

The irritating thing is that, looking at the museum website, they probably do know! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
.....It isn't the woman's bike I'm looking at incidentally before you ask! Its one I just happened to see and thought 'Yes, that would be a nice project to do!'.

tyred

Legendary Member
Mine has an Eadie Coaster brake hub, production of which stopped in early 1940 (there's a war on you know) and never really re-started after the war, making it look like the thing is pre-war. It's got a Raleigh 26tpi headset so after the take-over. Yet, I look at the frame and it looks 1950s to me, so possibly someone fitted the hub at a later date.

tyred

Legendary Member
It's actually pointless trying to date a really old bike from the components in many ways as parts wear out and get replaced with whatever was easily available at the time.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The number is stamped on the frame, so I should be able to date that at least, and apparently the saddle, handlebars, brake rod, forks and cranks are original too.

I think it is because of all those old and antique bikes being sold along with the 1905 Humber, but for some daft reason, I just want one now, but I'm not shelling out the hundreds being asked for those bikes! :blush:

bobg

Über Member
I got a rather snotty reply from the guy selling that 1905 Woman's bike through the online museum to join the Vintage Cyclist Club (or whatever it's called) and find out from there. Yeah, thanks!

The irritating thing is that, looking at the museum website, they probably do know! :rolleyes:

Yeah, they do, I had the same question and met a rep from the VCC at the Velodrome cycle Jumble. He told me to join too!

tyred

Legendary Member
I am a VCC member. I just haven't got around to writing a letter to the Humber M.E. (no email address).

Top Bottom