Huret Speedo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I got what I think might be a bit of a bargain at a local bicycle charity workshop; for £2.50 I got a mid 70's Huret speedometer with odometer. It's very eye-catching, but in need of some TLC; there's lots of surface grime, but it seems rattle free and the axle mount part turns smoothly.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? I need a new core for the cable or a replacement cable, to get it working, as far as I can tell. But it looks great, although I'm not sure what I'll actually do with it!!

DSC01925.jpg

DSC01927.jpg

DSC01926.jpg

HovR

Über Member
Nice find. Always liked the look of those mechanical speedometers on older bikes.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
Reads 5mph standing still - might help your averages a bit :whistle:
Can it be fitted to any hub? - I'm assuming you just fit it on the end of the axle and those protrusions engage with the spokes?

A motorbike shop would probably be the best place to get a new cable / inner, it looks similar to something I used to have on an old moped of mine in my youth.

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
It's kind of odd but their is a sticky-out bit that means the needle seems to be at 5mph, so I'm not sure really which part of the needle you're supposed to look at for the speed.

You're right about the fitting, and looking at the marking, it's calibrated for a 26" wheel. I think Huret make or made moped speedos too.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I used to have one of those in the 70s! The height of cool!

I used to have one of those in the 70s! The height of cool!
Me too on my Raleigh Rebel complete with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub about 1971. Cable snapped after a couple of years and I just stuck it in a bin in the shed at home, eventually skipped. It was a birthday present that came out of Freemans catalogue. Those were happy days. Thanks for the photos, reminds me of riding like the wind trying to catch my mate Gaz going flat out on his 5 speed Sun racer that he had swapped the drop handlebars for 'Apehangers' !!! Barmy, balmy summers.

Actually, just sat thinking and I seem to remember my brother in law replaced the cable with one off his NSU moped and it worked in a fashion for a while before unwinding itself after jamming up. So a motorbike shop that keeps old stock may well be the best place to look first.
I have found that 'Brasso' will remove scratches from plastic lenses like the cover, apply and rub with a soft cloth for a few minutes, then rinse with water, it may take a few attempts and then clean with some 'Mr muscle' glass cleaner or vinegar and water. I did this on some glasses that were badly scratched and it worked a treat! Hope this helps.:smile:

We had just such a thing on the family tandem when I was a boy (in the '70s).

We thought it was rocketship cool and at that time I knew no-one else who had a speedo on a bicycle.

Today's computers just don't have the same allure... and don't get me started on GPS altimeters with built-in espresso machine and twitter feed.

No, really... Don't get me started on that.... :tongue:

Davidc

Guru
Never had one but used to see them quite often.

Nice find. That'll be the old 26" not the mtb size, so perfect for a restoration project.

I wonder what the drag and power loss is? More than the Lucas Cyclometer I had I'd imagine.

Top Bottom