Hurting arms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is that a technical term for something? I guess hybrids aren't designed for long indoor trainer use are they unlike a road bike?
Not technical, just means turn the stem round

vickster

Legendary Member
What does that do?
Raise the bars. Post a photo of the bars

On a turbo trainer, you don’t actually have to hold the bars unless you have a really poor sense of balance! Just engage your core, sit up straight and pedal

or better still go outside and cycle in the fresh air (assuming you’re not shielding for medical reasons)

johnnyb47

Guru
Most stems are designed in such a way that by flipping them, they will raise the bar's and bring them to closer to the seat (very slightly) It will then take the pressure off your arms as your not leaning forward as much. It may not look or seem to apparent, but it's the smallest changes in a bike set that will will make the world of difference to comfort đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Mattk50

MattK50
Arh I see, thanks. I can cycle without holding the bars but it feels like I am 16 again cycling down the road with no hands! Cant do that for 90 minutes. Yeah am going out again but I tend to 'poodle' along leisurely rather than the 90 cadence I do on the trainer.

vickster

Legendary Member
Arh I see, thanks. I can cycle without holding the bars but it feels like I am 16 again cycling down the road with no hands! Cant do that for 90 minutes. Yeah am going out again but I tend to 'poodle' along leisurely rather than the 90 cadence I do on the trainer.
Why not ride harder outside?

You don’t need to sit up the whole time, just to vary your body position which you will do naturally on the road. My nether parts would not survive sitting still on a trainer for 90 minutes not to mention the extreme tedium

Mattk50

MattK50
I looked into flipping the stem but it makes the handle bars feel like they are in my lap lol!

Can I fit bar ends on my handle bars? These look good on amazon but my grips are a funny non circular shape on the end not to mention a slimy cheap plastic feel to them.

Attachments

• 71YOuVAOqdL._SY88 (Copy).jpg
    71YOuVAOqdL._SY88 (Copy).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200524_173720 (Copy).jpg
    20200524_173720 (Copy).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 6

vickster

Legendary Member
I looked into flipping the stem but it makes the handle bars feel like they are in my lap lol!

Can I fit bar ends on my handle bars? These look good on amazon but my grips are a funny non circular shape on the end not to mention a slimy cheap plastic feel to them.
Huh...what did you do? :wacko:

Get some ergon grips with incorporated bar ends
https://www.sportsdirect.com/ergon-...mCh28RwIUEAQYASABEgLAi_D_BwE#colcode=93711603

Flipping the stem:
Generally, the stem puts the bars out front at an angle to the steerer which makes it dead horizontal, particularly on road bikes with drops. To flip it is to remove the top cap, remove the bar clamp, slacken the stem bolts, lift it off, turn it upside down, refit bars to clamp. Tighten top cap first until no fore-aft play in steering, do not bear down heavily, it just needs to preload the headset bearings. Then tighten the stem bolts after ensuring they are straight. The stem now points upward a bit, and will be a few mm closer to you.
If the stem already had an upward angle, this will not work. The solution then is to get a stem with even more upward angle, I'll post a pic shortly.

Mattk50

MattK50
When I say I looked into flipping the stem, I mean I then looked at the bike thinking I knew what it meant rather than researching what it really is. Thanks Vickster and DCBassman.

Arm pain can have a number of causes:
Bars too low or long: get different ( adjustable) stem to correct weigh distribution.
Bars wrong shape
- flat bars too flat: replace with swept back shape
Flat bars to wide: cut them narrower
- drop bars too deep: replace with shallow drop

On a good fitting bike my arms start to pack in after 80 miles, before my legs.

Arm pain can have a number of causes:
Bars too low or long: get different ( adjustable) stem to correct weigh distribution.
Bars wrong shape
- flat bars too flat: replace with swept back shape
Flat bars to wide: cut them narrower
- drop bars too deep: replace with shallow drop

On a good fitting bike my arms start to pack in after 80 miles, before my legs.

Post pic if your bike and riding posture.

Top Bottom