Hurting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I saw today how the less fortunate are having to cope.We hold a coffee morning in a local church,prices are half of the local cafes.Today one of our group arrived and did not place an order for anything.So whats up G i asked er um nothing,you sure er um moist eyes.I only have so much left in my pocket and i need bread and meats for my tea tonight,cant afford brunch here nearly crying.G you are amongst friends here its ok,so order and it will be paid for he did a toasted tea cake and a latte.What if people outside had no friends.Nobody is turned away two guys had six cups between them.We have a pay it forward scheme you can leave a donation behind the counter.I hope things get better soon.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
“The best of you are those who feed others.”

It’s important to look out for those around us who are in trouble.
Well done Posty for caring.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nice work!

I've love to do something more organised and altruistic; one thing that particularly appeals is back where I used to live there are a group of cyclists who deliver necessaries to those who can't get out to obtain them for whatever reason. If I ever manage to get back there I'm committed to the idea of joining them, if they'll have me.

I also try to be generous to others when I can, but truth be told (in a material sense at least) this isn't very often since I'm always worried about money; although thankfully not to the same immediately threatening extent as many people. I try to take my own random instances of good fortune (such as tripping a speed camera in the car but not getting a ticket) as a reminder to pass some of this on to others.

I did buy the local homeless bloke near work a wrap after discovering an unexpected stash of reduced stuff in the typically stingy co-op a few days ago :smile:

Similarly I also like to think of being kind to others while the universe isn't being kind to me is a way of defiantly flipping it the bird.

I'm acutely aware that I've only made it this far through life thanks to the support of others, and that without this I'd likely be in the same situation as those clinging to the very bottom rung of our society; homeless, addicted, dead..

When I worked in youth work I got into conversation with someone from the UK doing a similar job. She told us how they supply warm meals in their six week long summer club. I said that we did this too, so kids can get experience cooking.
She said "with us it's the only meal they'll get that day."

Sometimes I wonder; if I hadn't happened to come here, where I was given so many opportunities, would that have been my kids?

Similarly I also like to think of being kind to others while the universe isn't being kind to me is a way of defiantly flipping it the bird.

I like that; I'll remember it for the future.

It is remarkable how many of my clients, who are at the bottom of society, go and help homeless charites and similar, sometimes working very long hours for pocket money at the most.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I like that; I'll remember it for the future.

It is remarkable how many of my clients, who are at the bottom of society, go and help homeless charites and similar, sometimes working very long hours for pocket money at the most.
😊

I think actually being in a situation reinforces awareness of / empathy for others in similar circumstances, while helping others can be empowering; and potentially the only source of such reward for people who are struggling.

When I worked in youth work I got into conversation with someone from the UK doing a similar job. She told us how they supply warm meals in their six week long summer club. I said that we did this too, so kids can get experience cooking.
She said "with us it's the only meal they'll get that day."

Sometimes I wonder; if I hadn't happened to come here, where I was given so many opportunities, would that have been my kids?

Good food can actually still be very cheap - but you need to know what to buy, what do with it, how to do it and have the facilities, abilities and energy to do it ... and the desire/will to do it.
Lack any one of those, and food starts to become very expensive.

I had a friend who was deeply involved in a very poor community of which she was a member and several years ago, when she saw the large number of children making use of breakfast clubs and summer lunch clubs, she took it upon herself, with the help and support of others involved in the community, to offer to teach budget easy cooking. The classes were open to anyone and it was hoped that parents on benefits, whose children were attending local school's breakfast clubs in term time and lunch clubs in the summer, would take advantage of them and reduce the burden on the schools and local churches.
My friend had been one of the poorest in the community from her early adulthood, as she had severe mental health issues (unstable bipolar, which burnt itself out a few years after her menopause) for many years and was for most of that time a single mother, on benefits, to three sons, yet had managed to always have them well-fed and clothed despite the additional burden, for the first few years, of an alcoholic, gambling-addicted, feckless husband/sperm donor ... So her offer was from a position of experience of being at the lowest point and income level.
Several older teenagers - mainly 'big sisters' of large families - came along to the classes regularly and were happy to learn cheap simple ways to cook good tasty food, but the hoped-for parents didn't.

So even if an opportunity is offered, if it's not taken, it benefits no-one.

Why no parents took up the opportunity to attend these classes, I don't know, as they were offered in the same way, by the same people, in the same venue as other opportunities for different things, which had been taken up. There must have been another reason the opportunity was not taken up and I ventured to suggest to my friend that it might have been an issue with literacy levels - a non-working teenager who'd recently left school would possibly be more likely to have maintained a functional level of literacy than a non-working parent who'd left school ten or more years before, and the idea of 'having to follow a recipe' dissuaded people with poor literacy levels - even though at no point was 'following recipes' mentioned and the classes were predicated on the general idea of not needing to weigh and measure and read about things, but to use easy-to-recognise stuff from the supermarkets or street markets.
We often wondered why there was such a disappointing take-up; my friend died suddenly a few years ago and so we never found out.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
SWMBO's been trying to raise the profile of food insecurity for some time. There will be a lot of people struggling this winter.

Good on you for helping Postie.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I saw today how the less fortunate are having to cope.We hold a coffee morning in a local church,prices are half of the local cafes.Today one of our group arrived and did not place an order for anything.So whats up G i asked er um nothing,you sure er um moist eyes.I only have so much left in my pocket and i need bread and meats for my tea tonight,cant afford brunch here nearly crying.G you are amongst friends here its ok,so order and it will be paid for he did a toasted tea cake and a latte.What if people outside had no friends.Nobody is turned away two guys had six cups between them.We have a pay it forward scheme you can leave a donation behind the counter.I hope things get better soon.

Well done Postie.
A little care goes a long way....

I have a pay as you can afford lunch on Fridays at the local Greene king pub. Anyone who can't pay still gets fed. For some its the only hearty meal they get each week. We alternate with a local cafe .
That sounds like a very good idea. I would hope a few people can afford to pay the 'going rate' and so help out the people running the enterprise.

Good food can actually still be very cheap - but you need to know what to buy, what do with it, how to do it and have the facilities, abilities and energy to do it ... and the desire/will to do it.
Lack any one of those, and food starts to become very expensive.

I think the situation @postman and my colleague was talking about was absolute poverty; in my colleagues case children were not getting a warm shower for weeks because there's no money. Sometimes this is because people spend money on the wrong things, but it's increasingly because there simply isn't the money for anything.

Several older teenagers - mainly 'big sisters' of large families - came along to the classes regularly and were happy to learn cheap simple ways to cook good tasty food, but the hoped-for parents didn't.

So even if an opportunity is offered, if it's not taken, it benefits no-one.

Why no parents took up the opportunity to attend these classes, I don't know, as they were offered in the same way, by the same people, in the same venue as other opportunities for different things, which had been taken up.

Sadly, I've seen this in other cases as well, and the pattern you describe isn't entirely surprising. It could be a number of reasons but here's a few possibilities:

There's a social stigma attached to not being able to cook. I don't know why this is, but as a non-cook I have felt it many times.

Then there's the social stigma attached to not "being educated" which unfortunately people often confuse with "being unintelligent or irresponsible" when its something very different.

I experienced this too when I came to Germany; it is genuinely quite unusual to find anyone here who doesn't have at the very least some kind of Ausbildung; post high school vocational training, which means at least a two years apprenticeship and more usually three years. This is the same for men or women; there are more apprenticeship places available than there are young people in our state. You are as likely to be asked "what is your training?" as "what is your job?" I used to dread that question.

In the UK I don't think it's as extreme, but it's still an issue that can go to the heart of someone's view of themselves.

There's also a stigma attached to being seen as a "bad" or "incompetent" parent in the community. this is very toxic because we're all incompetent and have to learn as we go along, and it makes it very hard for people to get help: If you need help, you must be a "Bad Parent".

Put all of this together, and you may have a situation where attending this cooking course can feel like admitting that you are a cr*p cook, badly educated (ie: "thick"); and worst of all a "bad parent". Who wants to admit to their peers, parents, or possibly worst of all, in-laws, that "I can't come on Wednesday; I need to learn how to cook"? This is especially true as people get older: when the kids are small that may be acceptable, but if they're ten years old it could feel like admitting not only that you aren't competent, but you've been incompetent for a decade. I felt that too, enrolling for an apprenticeship at 35.

Also, what will Grandma say if I give the impression I can't cook because she didn't teach me to cook, will it make her look incompetent?

This is also why the "Big sisters" were able to come; they're younger and there's no stigma attached. In fact it's quite the reverse: their home culture will encourage and applaud them: Parents and in-laws alike will be delighted.

At the end of the day it always comes down to the story we believe about ourselves, and the story we want to believe. We want to believe we're competent, capable members of society, and good parents, and it may be that enrolling on a cooking course suggests (or confirms) the opposite in our minds.I see this motivating people's decisions every day and it can be a really difficult situation, because it can lead to poor decisions for good reasons.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
SWMBO's been trying to raise the profile of food insecurity for some time. There will be a lot of people struggling this winter.

Good on you for helping Postie.

This very much so, I think that this winter if costs keep spiralling ever upwards, not only will we see the unemployed struggle, but those in work, who will also find it difficult to put food on the table, and justify putting the heating on

Top Bottom