Hybrid bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GarethA

Hi All...
My commute has just become significantly longer and is now really heavy going on my mountain bike - so have decided to keep the mtb (orange p7) for offroad only and get something else for commuting that's lighter with thinner wheels...

Tried borrowing a proper road bike and although it's quick I find the riding position not great for dealing with traffic so have (almost) decided on a hybrid.

Have been round a few shops and the current short list is
cannondale bad boy 700
ridgeback flight 3
scott sub 10
felt qx85

What do people think of the list?... or should I just ditch the idea of flat bars & disc brakes and buy a proper road bike (one of the audax/sportive jobs rather than the out-and-out racer I've tried).

My commute is about 10miles and parts of it are STEEP - the roads are pretty good but it's busy with a lot of traffic / buses.

I'm not 'super' fit but I do cycle every day, do about 4000 miles a year and can avg 20mph on my orange on the current 4.5mile commute.

J4CKO

I have the Bad Boy, its great but the disks as standard are weak (swapped to Mono Minis) and I was too stretched out so had to change the stem.

OP
OP
G

GarethA

that's interesting... were the disks the juicy 3's? I've had them on an MTB and found them OK... the Hope kit obviously superior though!

J4CKO

GarethA said:
that's interesting... were the disks the juicy 3's? I've had them on an MTB and found them OK... the Hope kit obviously superior though!

Yes, Juicy three's, som people reckon they are alright but I am over six foot and sixteen stone, plus bike, plus panniers, plus laptop sometimes, probably getting on for around 300 lbs (230 lbs me, 30 lbs bike, panners 15 lbs plus lights etc) all up weight and they just didnt give me that bite i wanted so I swapped the Hopes off my MTB which was otherwise knackered, plus 180 mm front disk and it was a lot better, had occasiona to stop quick the other night and they werent that great so Ordered some new pads, sintered ones this time, few quick stops then water over them as per the instructions and they are now superb, can lift the back wheel off the floor !

OP
OP
G

GarethA

cheers for the info - being able stop in a hurry fully laden definitely top of the priority list.

Just comparing components the merida hybrids (or fitness bikes! as they call them) do look good VFM. Anyone got one? are they any good?

Top Bottom