Hybrid Bike for 6'4" male !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wack

Hello Folks,

Rather than repair my very old Raleigh Voyager, I'm now considering a new (or nearly new) bike. In the running so far, are the Voodoo Marasa (20") and the Carrera Crossfire 2 (Large).

Mostly cycle paths, gravel paths, roads, nothing very extreme.

Would appreciate your opinions please.

Many thanks in advance.

Wack :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
What do Halfords say on the website about sizing? Normally an XL would be appropriate for someone 6’4

I wouldn’t bother with suspension for those needs. A Carrera Subway another option
What’s your max budget?

OP
OP
Wack

Wack

Hello vickster,

My budget is about £350 / 400, I get 10% off at Halfords, so that'll help a smidge ! :okay:

Subway looks a slightly better option than the Crossfire, they do an XL in it ! ^_^

Wack

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
In your position I'd be tempted to look at second hand XL frames. There's a small market for frames of that size, so they haven't, based on a cursory glance only, been as affected by the recent s/h price bubble. Plenty of choice from Whyte, Trek, Pinnacle et al. As said, don't fuss about suspension, look for something that you can fit at least a 35C profile tyre too (plus mudguard clearance would help, too).

vickster

Legendary Member
In your position I'd be tempted to look at second hand XL frames. There's a small market for frames of that size, so they haven't, based on a cursory glance only, been as affected by the recent s/h price bubble. Plenty of choice from Whyte, Trek, Pinnacle et al. As said, don't fuss about suspension, look for something that you can fit at least a 35C profile tyre too (plus mudguard clearance would help, too).
Don’t think a Whyte R7 will take 35+ tyre with mudguards

Nothing obvious in XL anywhere close to Newark on eBay currently. Used bikes are in as short supply as new!

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Don’t think a Whyte R7 will take 35+ tyre with mudguards

Nothing obvious in XL anywhere close to Newark on eBay currently. Used bikes are in as short supply as new!
R7s didn't use to have clearance - my 2016(?) was the last of those, IIRC, so the one you used to own was similar, I guess.

Newer ones have tweaked clearances to be larger. They now ship with at least 37Cs.

si_c

Guru
Is go for the Subway at that price point, solid frame with a good reputation amongst folk here. The brakes are adequate but not amazing though they can be upgraded to Shimano hydraulics for around £50.

It's also at the lower end of your budget leaving money for things like mudguards and lights.

OP
OP
Wack

Wack

Thanks all,

It's looking like the Subway 2 isn't available anywhere :ohmy::cry:

BFN

Wack

Top Bottom