Hybrid Bike Norco Indie 4 2014 - Cheap Suspension Fork Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I will say, just to add what little I know, that the only difference I've ever felt, even between two vastly different frames, seems to come from different tyres. My experience is between a moderate steel rigid MTB (Trek), a moderate aluminium hybrid (Raleigh), and a good-for-its-day Scott roadie in 7005 aluminium. The only thing that to me made any difference was tyres.
I'm never, ever going to put out enough power to stress a frame, unless it's made of cheese.
The only bike where I am unsure of the comfort, if you like, is the hardtail Merida currently sat outside. And that is because it is so unlike the other three. Up to that point, with reservations, a bike is a bike is a bike. Modifying it to fit and suit one's needs is what makes it a good bike for you.
I do the same with my electric basses. They are bitsas, to suit me.
So the Trek has much more up to date gearing than its vintage would suggest. The Scott roadie has road gears up front and full-on 9-speed mtb gears out back. Because that suits me.
And, IMHO, once you start doing that sort of pick-and-mix, these "differences" cease to exist.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
This has me thinking...

Ride-wise, there was a vast difference between my previous aluminium Avalanche(s) and my current steel Inbred.

However, there is also a vast difference between my steel Inbred and my steel Virtue - so maybe it's not (only) down to material

Wheelbase and frame sizes are the same and tube angles basically similar (triple triangle / wishbone aside).

All the parts (apart from the headset) on the Inbred came from the Avalanche, so no answer there.

The only difference is weight, although (confusingly) the Inbred frame weighs a kilo more than the Avalanche, so I would expect the handling to suffer - but it doesn't - it's a lot more lively.

The Virtue frame (on the other hand) is Tange Prestige steel and nearly half the weight of the Inbred, which should make it a bit more "flexy", although not as much as a Charge Duster (which I found quite alarming at first).

However,the only "flex" I could feel was from the fork - which I cured by upgrading to a 9mm QR thru axle.

Strangely, I find the Inbred more "flexy" (If indeed there is such a thing) but (probably) the weight difference of the Virtue puts it miles ahead.

Top Bottom