Hybrid bike purchase - suspension or no suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stacey1624

I know there are similar questions out there and it really is a preference, but I'm torn over whether or not I want a hybrid with a suspension or not.
I tried on bike paths, trails and gravel (not quite mountain bike worthy though) and generally 15-25 every time I go out. I'm seriously upgrading from a Schwinn Trailway (with suspension) that I've had for about 10 years now.
I'm considering the following bikes and just can't decide:
Giant Roam 2 Disc - $670
Giant Roam 4 Disc - $450
Giant Escape 3 Disc - $470

Both Roams have suspension (the 4 doesn't have a lockout, has less gearing and likely lesser components than the Roam 2). I've been looking at these for days and can't decide what to do. HELP

gavgav

Guru
I have a Cube Hybrid, with front (lockable) suspension and I rarely use the suspension. Don’t use it at all on road riding (find it too wallowy, especially when climbing) use it sometimes if I’m off road, such as in the Lake District, where gravel tracks can be bumpy, but if I ever change it then I don’t think I will bother going with suspension again.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
If I was riding gnarly downhill forest tracks and scree escarpments I would definitely go for suspension, but I'm not that kind of rider so I've never needed it. I've tried a few bikes with suspension.... "bouncy" and "energy sapping" were the words that came to mind. Wallowy is a good description too I think. I ride off road a lot on hybrids and tourers but it's mild stuff (rutted bumpy tracks at worst) so I still haven't ever had a moment where I wished I had suspension. I like that direct feel / feedback that a hard frame gives.

Remember that many manufacturers are pandering to a customer expectation that somehow a bike with suspension is "better". Much like the belief in the 80s and onwards where a bike with 16 gears was automatically "better" than one with 8. And one with 24 trumped them both. It's a dumbing down of what makes a bike good, or capable. And the result is often cheap, heavy components purely to tick a box.

I'm not saying suspension is a bad thing, it's great for riders and bikes that are tackling serious stuff. What I'm saying is don't buy into this idea that you *need* it if you actually don't.
In my experience you get a bit more bike at the same price level if you eschew suspension.

Oh and I have a Giant Escape in my garage and it's great fun. They handle so nicely and they're quick and nimble.

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
My opinion is that hybrids dont need suspension, because they aren't the type of bikes to use on really rough stuff. Suspension, either just fork, or full suss, is only needed on proper mountain bikes.

Midsrider

Ive been toying with 2 x Trek bikes recently for myself and my wife. She has a Bwtin Original 5 at the moment with suspension on, and to be fair on some paths where we live which are really bumpy - its not a bad ride, but she we are both toying with the idea of hybrids without.

Two models im looking at are : Trek DS2 (with suspension) or the Trek FX2 without.

simon.r

Person
Based on riding MTB‘s with 50mm travel forks years ago, modern MTB’s with 100mm+ and a modern hybrid with 50mm, my opinion is that if you’re going to have suspension you might as well have 100mm+

So, either a rigid hybrid or a MTB with a decent suspension fork.

I’ve just ordered a rigid fork to replace the next to useless short travel fork on my hybrid.

brucers

Guru
I would give suspension a miss. The extra weight is rarely worth the supposed gain. My good lady has a suspension seatpost. They are a good halfway measure plus easy to revert to normal seatpost.

Top Bottom